Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Minor scrapes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor scrapes?

Just noticed some **** scraped my new to me Trans Am. I've done bodywork before, but always down to bare metal and primed work.

How do I safetly get this scrape off? Don't want to put rubbing compound on but want something with more oomph than soap and water.

it feels like hardcore paint transfer, it didn't gouge the panel.

Last edited by KingJacobo; 02-15-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any kind of quality paint cleaner will do the trick
Step 1 Meguiars has always worked well for me

Old 02-15-2014, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, that's easy to fix yourself. It looks like it didn't penetrate the color coat.

Start by wet sanding with 2,500-3,000 grit sand paper. Be gentle and take your time. It's a tedious process.

Once all the marks are gone, then polish with a good polishing compound. I like Maguire's. I'ts like a wax compound, but has some grit to it. I like to use a powerball and a drill motor - Gently! Go slow, move it around a lot, and don't burn through the color coat. Be gentle.

Once all the marks are gone and it's smooth again, use your favorite wax to get the shine back.

It's hard to see in the picture, but it looks like some of the scratches may extend into the color coat. If they do, you might have to sand down to the primer and repaint. If they really bother you.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, that's easy to fix yourself. It looks like it didn't penetrate the color coat.

Start by wet sanding with 2,500-3,000 grit sand paper. Be gentle and take your time. It's a tedious process.

Once all the marks are gone, then polish with a good polishing compound. I like Maguire's. I'ts like a wax compound, but has some grit to it. I like to use a powerball and a drill motor - Gently! Go slow, move it around a lot, and don't burn through the color coat. Be gentle.

Once all the marks are gone and it's smooth again, use your favorite wax to get the shine back.

It's hard to see in the picture, but it looks like some of the scratches may extend into the color coat. If they do, you might have to sand down to the primer and repaint. If they really bother you.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For a color transfer scrape, I do a first step of wiping with mek solvent, which will pull the paint transfer off, only slightly softening a real paint job. Then you can better see how much work is needed.

Quick Reply: Minor scrapes?