Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

MSd 6010 was working, now not

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSd 6010 was working, now not

I have an LQ4 with a vic Jr and an MSD 6010 box. The engine has been running fine, and I have been on a couple test drives with no problems. Thursday I hooked up the blue wire from to MSD box to my transbrake switch, so the lo-RPM setting would work in the MSD box. I started the car and tested it out and it worked fine. I went to test it again and it didn't work. I shut the car off and now it won't start. It will just crank and crank. As soon as I let go of the key, it pops out of the exhaust or intake, but no popping during cranking. This morning I got into the car and as soon as I turned the key to ignition on (not start) it popped out of the carb.

I verified the box is getting 12v while cranking, and the grounds are good. I tried hooking my laptop to the box to watch the gauges in the MSD software, but the laptop won't register that the box is connected (it sees the COM port fine, but no product connection). Any ideas what has happened here? I tried unhooking the transbrake wire but no change. I'm not sure what to check from here.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive seen tons of MSD's just quit. When I was dag racing we always keep a spare. Most guys had 2. As far as the 6010 ive only seen one other quit. I would give MSD a call but most everybody on here are gonna tell you to check and double check your grounds. Do you have it ground somwhere besides sheetmetal?
Old 02-15-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kylel
I have an LQ4 with a vic Jr and an MSD 6010 box. The engine has been running fine, and I have been on a couple test drives with no problems. Thursday I hooked up the blue wire from to MSD box to my transbrake switch, so the lo-RPM setting would work in the MSD box. I started the car and tested it out and it worked fine. I went to test it again and it didn't work. I shut the car off and now it won't start. It will just crank and crank. As soon as I let go of the key, it pops out of the exhaust or intake, but no popping during cranking. This morning I got into the car and as soon as I turned the key to ignition on (not start) it popped out of the carb.

I verified the box is getting 12v while cranking, and the grounds are good. I tried hooking my laptop to the box to watch the gauges in the MSD software, but the laptop won't register that the box is connected (it sees the COM port fine, but no product connection). Any ideas what has happened here? I tried unhooking the transbrake wire but no change. I'm not sure what to check from here.
According to the instructions, this wire goes to the low RPM setting when supplied with 12v and back to the normal setting whit no volts, is this how you hooked it up? Not sure what might happen if it was grounded. I'd definitely un-wire it back to square one and see what happens...
Old 02-15-2014, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
According to the instructions, this wire goes to the low RPM setting when supplied with 12v and back to the normal setting whit no volts, is this how you hooked it up? Not sure what might happen if it was grounded. I'd definitely un-wire it back to square one and see what happens...
It is getting 12V+ when pressing the switch. I have de-wired it with no luck. The box is grounded to sheet metal under the dash, where it always has been.

The 2 odd things to me are the pop when the key was turned on (like a coil fired when I turned on the ignition) and the fact that I can't get the MSD software to recognize the box when hooked to the laptop. I will be calling MSD tech when I get a chance.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:33 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Ground it to the block of straight to the battery and see what happens.

Quick Reply: MSd 6010 was working, now not