Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Carrier vs. Axle Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrier vs. Axle Bearings

Hey all,

I want to know about the noises that carrier and axle bearings make when failing, specifically because of a noise that starts at 15 mph and is the same, low rolling hollow grinding sound at freeway speeds.

1) From what I understand, the axle bearings are just on the inside of the pumpkin and can be easily replaced. I am swapping axles (bent from an icy morning) and would like to replace the axle bearings while I'm there if it would help. Are the carrier bearings a different thing than the axle bearings? What would they sound like if they were failing?

2) Pinion bearings make a whining noise that's rpm dependent so I am ruling that out. Plus there's no play at the yoke.

I have searched many forums and am still unsure of what a carrier bearing is / what noise it would make if it was failing. If a carrier bearing is different than the axle bearing and difficult to replace, I may just buy another 10 bolt... Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited by doran_the_man; 02-21-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

The axle bearings are at the ends of the axle tubes, towards the wheels. The carrier bearings are pressed onto the carrier assembly in the pumpkin, the pinion bearings are pressed onto the pinion gear.

It is not engine rpm dependent, its wheel rpm dependent, so it will increase with speed. If one of the rollers is cracked or damaged on the pinion bearings you will not necessarily feel play, The carrier bearings and wheel bearings noise may possibly change when loading up one side more than the other.

Considering everything in the pumpkin is pressed on, it makes sense to expect to change all the bearings, or if down time is ok you could disassemble it and inspect the bearings to see specifically which one(s) are bad, the axle bearings are the easiest to change but you still have to pull the rear cover and drain fluid to get the axles out.

New pinion bearings needs a new crush sleeve.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The axle bearings will make a rubbing whoosh whoosh sound from about 5 mph+ and the noise won't change in a turn because they are NOT tapered and don't change load in turns.

The carrier bearing will make rumbling sound from about 20+mph and the noise will change some in turns because the carrier bearings are tapered and take ALL the turning loads in GM axles. Also the rear might whine or hum because the worn carrier bearing will change the ring gear setup.

Its relatively quick to remove the cover and pull the axles to inspect them.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Op, no offense but it doesn't sound like you have a solid grasp of a rear differential and its components. Sometimes words only go so far, I suggest looking at exploded views so you can see the location and function of these bearings. I say this because I saw numerous errors in your initial post. Now that that is out of the way, replacing your wheel bearings is not hard for a weekend mechanic. You will need new seals, bearings, gear oil, and cover gasket. You will need a slide hammer and wheel bearing puller. Some come out easy, some are a real pain. You'll need to inspect your axle for damage on the roller surface while its out as well.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:57 AM
Teching In

Yeah, I had no idea how the thing was assembled or what the different bearings did...

Thanks for info guys.

For anyone that finds this post in the future..

I threw a low mile 10 bolt assembly under the car and then took apart the old one.

The axle bearings (they sit out by the wheels in the axle tube) were fine but the carrier bearings (inside of housing to support axles) had at least 1/4" play in the axial direction and the rollers had lost much of their finish.

I'll check out my pinion bearings next time I'm home, but I'd guess the carrier bearings were causing that rumbling noise.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah sounds like it. Driver said carrier damage is VERY common in 10 bolts. They can live a long life under normal conditions even when damaged, as odd as that sounds.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

Yea the driver side is prone to damage. This happened to me.

Quick Reply: Carrier vs. Axle Bearings