Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Z-28 4l60e harsh shifting, PLZ HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Z-28 4l60e harsh shifting, PLZ HELP!!!

The car has 105,000 miles all put on by myself... I would say I never/rarely abused it (meaning no huge burnouts, just a spirited driver. The harsh shifting started about a 2 weeks ago off and on. Now it seems to happen often especially when cold and sometimes smooth out when warm. Other times no harsh shifting at all. The fluid is red/not burnt and at the correct level. No codes what so ever. I've tested the tps and maf and all within spec, idk what to do. I have had certifications before but trans is a whole different world... PLZ HELP
Old 02-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 397 Likes on 304 Posts

Sudden/intermittent harsh shifting is often the result of high line pressure.
This can be caused by a sticking PCS (also called EPC) (Pressure Control Solenoid).
However based on many threads here, it is often caused by a defective sensor commanding the PCS to increase line pressure. While you have tested the TPS and MAF, you might also want to check the MAP and even try disconnecting the MAF. (Sorry, I don't remember if disconnecting the MAF increases line pressure; when I do that I also tune the MAF out with Hp Tuners.)

A line pressure gauge connected to the trans would confirm whether the pressure is high. A trans shop would probably start there and then replace the PCS.

Quick Reply: 01 Z-28 4l60e harsh shifting, PLZ HELP!!!