Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C3 LQ9/4L60e Swap Fuel Tank Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 LQ9/4L60e Swap Fuel Tank Questions

I dropped the fuel tank on my 74 today in order to figure out how to do the internal fuel pump (Yes, I realize I COULD use an external, but I'm set on doing it in the tank.) Also, the Vette tank isn't baffled, so I plan on using an F Body pump that has the bucket around the pump to keep sloshing fuel at 1/2 tank or lower from effecting the fuel delivery. Onto the 30 dollar question. Once I got the fuel tank on the ground, there seems to be plenty of room to mount an F-Body Ls fuel pump in the top of the tank just below the fuel fill area by cutting a hole and installing a flange kit for the LS fuel pump. I plan on leaving the bottom mounted factory fuel sending unit in the tank as well. I'm curious is there might be an easier or even a better way to achieve dependable fuel delivery? Please chime in!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to a pull a part salvage
Find a 93/98 Camaro/Firebird
Cut a hole in the metal just above the where the fuel pump is
Pull the ring that seals the pump to the tank
Cut the wires and hoses out of your way
Cut ring mating surface off the metal tank, make sure you leave enough to weld onto your vette tank

Now go find a 99+ camaro/fbody
Cut a hole in the hatch just above the fuel tank
Disconnect the hoses and wiring harness
pull the fuel pump
Make sure you grab the pigtail off this pump

Now cut a hole in your vette tank, make sure it has been ventilating for days before you attempt any welding. Prep surface and weld the part out you pulled from the metal tank. Go to your auto parts store and buy an o-ring that fits around the pump. Drop pump in tank, slide ring over top of pump. Ring has to be installed upside down to clear pump and have threads to tighten down onto. The sealing ring will have to have a couple holes re-drilled to accomplish this.
Enjoy your new fuel pump without spending big $$$...Total parts cost? $12.00 and you go buy a walbro to put in it.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to a pull a part salvage
Find a 93/98 Camaro/Firebird
Cut a hole in the metal just above the where the fuel pump is
Pull the ring that seals the pump to the tank
Cut the wires and hoses out of your way
Cut ring mating surface off the metal tank, make sure you leave enough to weld onto your vette tank

Now go find a 99+ camaro/fbody
Cut a hole in the hatch just above the fuel tank
Disconnect the hoses and wiring harness
pull the fuel pump
Make sure you grab the pigtail off this pump

Now cut a hole in your vette tank, make sure it has been ventilating for days before you attempt any welding. Prep surface and weld the part out you pulled from the metal tank. Go to your auto parts store and buy an o-ring that fits around the pump. Drop pump in tank, slide ring over top of pump. Ring has to be installed upside down to clear pump and have threads to tighten down onto. The sealing ring will have to have a couple holes re-drilled to accomplish this.
Enjoy your new fuel pump without spending big $$$...Total parts cost? $12.00 and you go buy a walbro to put in it.

Quick Reply: C3 LQ9/4L60e Swap Fuel Tank Questions