Car haulers.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:31 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Car haulers.....

Who has some great deals?

Craig's list has a place in channel view and a place in north Houston that sell 18 foot car trailers with wood decks for 1595$, sounds great. Anything better?

Would like a all steel setup with diamond plate, but that's a big jump in price.

I'll even buy a used trailer if it's in good shape, but have not seen anything yet.

I have come to accept that customizing the fender for door access is a thing I won't mind doing for my cars loading and unloading experience.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been Looking into this as well. This the Best deal I have found yet. If you don't mind driving up north a lil bit. This is the trailer I am looking into buying. Other wise craigslist, or use http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com/

http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com...AULER-96833471

Dealership site

http://www.candmtrailers.net/

Hope this helps
Old 02-26-2014, 03:09 AM
In-Zane Moderator

That's pretty cheap, does not have a do e fail though, which is a plus for most of our cars.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used trailer deals never seem to pop up. Always seems like the sellers have a trailer for $200 less than new, most need tires. Makes no sense to me, but they always sell.

Best deal I found on a steel deck 7k gvw was $2395
Old 02-26-2014, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A-Dub
Used trailer deals never seem to pop up. Always seems like the sellers have a trailer for $200 less than new, most need tires. Makes no sense to me, but they always sell.
Exactly, when I was looking about 6 years ago I kept running into this and just bought new.

When you look, crawl underneath and see if the main structure is C-channel or Angle iron. There is a difference. The C-channel is a much stronger trailer (but is heavier too). You can use an angle iron trailer, but they won't hold up as well so they should be a decent bit cheaper.

While under the trailer check out the welds and how the wiring is run. Is the wiring just run through holes burned in the frame with no grommet? Expect to have to fix those things over time. Look at the welds closely to make sure they are good. PJ trailers seem to be very popular around here, but I have run into several guys who had welds fail. As more people began talking about it others started realizing their PJ trailer had crappy welds too. This can happen with any manufacturer so check it over.

Are they new tires? Are they trailer tires or cheap car tires? All of those things should play into the price.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
That's pretty cheap, does not have a do e fail though, which is a plus for most of our cars.
Have a What?

I'm not the most knowledgeable about car trailers
Old 02-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Launching!

I think he meant to say dovetail.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Depends on your budget and how patient you are. I scored a used Texas Trailer Man 18' all steel with dove tail for $1500. I absolutely love that trailer.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

I'd recommend spending the extra money and get an all steel trailer. Those boards will just have to be replaced eventually and costs money. In the long run you'll save money and hassle with an all steel trailer.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:02 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Still searching, but someone mentioned a 4' dove tail. Man, that would make loading really nice for cars.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Still searching, but someone mentioned a 4' dove tail. Man, that would make loading really nice for cars.
18ft and 4ft dovetail...only way to go!
Old 02-27-2014, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Me and. Buddy went half on one.

Used in the 1800 dollar range was registered and tagged had lights and such. Dovetail but wooden floor.

Makes me wish we or even me alone had got one sooner.

Picked my broke *** cars up a few times. Able to jump on some good non running deals.

Also put a winch on it. We just got 1 for 299 at habor freight. Should have done that a long time ago too
Old 02-27-2014, 05:00 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Yea, I have a friends that I used but it is a junker. It works but it looks like **** and every car I have, the nose bottoms out, no dove tail, ect.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

I recently bought a trailer man wood deck hauler. Two foot dove tail and loads my lowered c5 just fine and my car is very low. Think it was right at 1600 out the door. Brakes on one axle ,breakaway brake, new wheels and tires, 5 ft ramps, and a spare tire.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:22 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Very nice, gonna have to check them out.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Check the width too. They are not all the same width.

Personally, I am not a fan of trailer man trailers. My buddy bought one from them. The wheels are tires were used junk. His first time using it, he was just hauling his Rhino to the deer lease. First tire let go within 20 miles of the house. He lost 2 or 3 tires that trip. He got new tires and went to mount them only to discover that 2 of the wheels were not true. By the time he bought decent wheels and tires, he could have gotten a nicer trailer. It was an angle iron trailer with wood deck and was only 16ft long. Within 2 months of owning it he wished he had never bought it and just bought a better trailer in the beginning. He ended up with the same $$$ invested by the time he fixed the stuff trailer man cheaped out on and still had a lower quality, shorter, and narrower trailer than the rest of us.

Maybe it depends what trailer you buy from there, but I have never seen a trailer from there that was worth what they charged.

My buddy paid $1600 too. For comparison, I bought an 18' full width trailer with 4 dovetail. Steel deck with 8 integrated tie downs, 5,200 lb axles, brakes on both axles, new trailer tires and wheels, upgraded coupler, and ramps that slide out the back to make it easy for loading and unloading. I paid $2,400. If you take out the $400 I paid for heavier duty axles, my buddy and I spent the same amount by the time he bought new wheels/tires and I had a much nicer trailer.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
Check the width too. They are not all the same width.

Personally, I am not a fan of trailer man trailers. My buddy bought one from them. The wheels are tires were used junk. His first time using it, he was just hauling his Rhino to the deer lease. First tire let go within 20 miles of the house. He lost 2 or 3 tires that trip. He got new tires and went to mount them only to discover that 2 of the wheels were not true. By the time he bought decent wheels and tires, he could have gotten a nicer trailer. It was an angle iron trailer with wood deck and was only 16ft long. Within 2 months of owning it he wished he had never bought it and just bought a better trailer in the beginning. He ended up with the same $$$ invested by the time he fixed the stuff trailer man cheaped out on and still had a lower quality, shorter, and narrower trailer than the rest of us.

Maybe it depends what trailer you buy from there, but I have never seen a trailer from there that was worth what they charged.

My buddy paid $1600 too. For comparison, I bought an 18' full width trailer with 4 dovetail. Steel deck with 8 integrated tie downs, 5,200 lb axles, brakes on both axles, new trailer tires and wheels, upgraded coupler, and ramps that slide out the back to make it easy for loading and unloading. I paid $2,400. If you take out the $400 I paid for heavier duty axles, my buddy and I spent the same amount by the time he bought new wheels/tires and I had a much nicer trailer.
Do you remember who you purchased from?
Old 02-28-2014, 03:46 PM
In-Zane Moderator

For real^
Old 02-28-2014, 09:15 PM
Launching!

It was a place called Texas Made Trailers outside of Dallas (near Greenville). I will try to look and see if I still have their phone number. It was well worth the drive for the price.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

If you need to buy or rent a trailer zone. My pops at BIgtex trailers can help you out. Ask for Tom 281.447.1414

Quick Reply: Car haulers.....