General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire?

Hello, I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28 manual. The car has some idle surge and whenever I drive it in first gear at a lower RPM with my foot steady on the gas it has some buck to it. Every three or four seconds it will kind of fall on it's face like its trying to die then jump right back up to where it's supposed to be. The question is, could this be a misfire or is this the work of the ms3 cam? What can I do to easily check. Also is there an easy way to get to that passenger rear spark plug?
Old 03-01-2014, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I think it's now classified as "old school" these days, but I use AutoTap to monitor each cylinder and see what's going on...it could be cam related, but your tuner should have been able to compensate for it when you had it tuned after the cam swap.

As far as that rear plug, what works best for me is putting both knees on the battery and just going in after it from the top. I use lots of towels to protect my knees as well as my paint...
Old 03-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get it scanned with an OBDII scanner with the engine running and up to operating temp......see how the 02 sensors are switching.

If it starts bucking and falling on its face.......and you then tap the gas pedal and give it more air.....does it instantly clear up and pull normally? If so.....02 sensor problems are probably making you run very rich.

Quick Reply: Misfire?