Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the market for a 4l80e trans brake, anybody used the TCI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default In the market for a 4l80e trans brake, anybody used the TCI?

About to buy a trans brake for my 4l80e. I'm looking at Jake's, Rossler's, & TCI's. Any experience with the TCI?
Old 03-05-2014, 11:31 AM

I have not have any problems with the transbrake valvebodys for TCI. Good release and holds good
Old 03-05-2014, 12:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The TCI brake has some REALLY long circuits. Might not be noticeable depending on application but could cause delayed shifts.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go with a jakes
Old 03-05-2014, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by novaflash2002
Go with a jakes
Didn't jakes stop selling trans parts unless you buy a transmission from him? Because people were installing things wrong?
Old 03-06-2014, 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Burken01
Didn't jakes stop selling trans parts unless you buy a transmission from him? Because people were installing things wrong?
We've resumed parts sales. Transbrake sales I try to be sure the customer is either an experienced trans tech or has one doing the work.

More often than not, the typical enthusiast (and many shops) doesn't have the knowledge or tools to properly diagnose any issues that arise. Anytime there is a problem, I become the technician who has to try to diagnose it over the phone or email whether it's related to my product or not.

We deal with this with transmissions as well. A 4L80E or 4L60E isn't as simple as a Powerglide, TH400, or TH350. It takes more than just installing it without damaging the pump by not having the converter completely seated, and getting the fluid full. It also requires some electrical and tuning ability. It is the installers responsibility to install the transmission, not the transmission builders responsibility.
When dealing with aftermarket conversion harnesses, rewiring, and tuning there are many potential hang ups not related to the transmission build, or the valve body, or the parts kit we may have sold.

I don't mind answering questions related to my product but I simply cannot dedicate the time to walk an enthusiast through a transmission build, valve body install, and trans install because I sold him a $400 valve body. I would have to charge $1000 for each valve body to do so.

You don't go to Oreilly's and buy an intake manifold for the engine, and expect the counter guy to help you build the engine, install it, and tune it.

Quick Reply: In the market for a 4l80e trans brake, anybody used the TCI?