Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What killed this o2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What killed this o2?

The car is a 2002 Trans am ws6 with TSP 1 7/8" long tubes and offroad y pipe and stock tune. My driver side o2 sensors last only days in this cold weather and they come out black like that. I get conflicting info when searching through google, one site says the black stuff is from running rich, the other site says its fouled from oil.. My pcv does suck oil into the intake but wouldnt it kill both o2s?

I took my car to a shop to check for exhaust leaks (it makes a ticking sound from somewhere under it and also a whooshing sound when i let off after WOT) and they said it had no leaks. im going to take it to another shop soon for a second opinion. But in the mean time, can an exhaust leak lead to the o2 sensor looking like that?
Attached Thumbnails What killed this o2?-cam00676.jpg  
Old 03-04-2014, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an exhaust leak in my car made my O2s foul immediately after installing brand new ones. i got terrible gas mileage and the exhaust smelled up the whole car, now my leak may have been a tad on the bad side but id say yea it can, if the leak is near the O2 it can read to much air getting to it and screw up what the computer thinks the engine needs, as far as air/fuel and stuff like that and if its dumping fuel on it id imagine that could happen.

Quick Reply: What killed this o2?