Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How much can a 2 piece drive shaft handle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 08:33 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Default How much can a 2 piece drive shaft handle?

The stock 2 piece drive shaft in my s10 was shortened 1 inch and a couple new u joints installed with a new carrier bearing. Will it take a *** kicking at the track from hard launches?

By the time I paid for new parts, labor and balancing I could have got a 1 piece drive shaft. So I hope it is something that will live for my Friday night ventures beating up on other street cars.

It's a 4.8/t56 with 4.10s. Made 312 hp and 308 TQ. Not exactly a monster but a fun daily driver I just finished.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much it can handle i don't think it has anything to do with whether it's a one piece vs. two piece. as long as you don't exceed the operating angles at all the u-joints, the deciding factor on whether it breaks is the diameter of the shaft, the wall thickness, and the material used. and from those three things you can calculate what the critical speed of the shafts are. critical speed is influences by drive shaft length, because you have a two piece you are far less likely to be near the critical speed... however it also allows you to use a thinner diameter and thinner wall thickness of the shaft.
if anything i would look at the carrier bearing support and make sure that is strong and mounted securely, if that flexes/moves/breaks then you're in trouble.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:39 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

The carrier was my entire concern. Lol

Quick Reply: How much can a 2 piece drive shaft handle?