Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Stock Clutch or Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock Clutch or Upgrade?

Hi guys, I know this is probably beat to death but I couldn't really find anything when I searched the forum.

I recently bought a 98 firebird and I can hear the throwout bearing on its way out. I'm going to go ahead and replace the clutch and probably flywheel while I'm at it, as I should. I'm just wondering what your guy's opinions on the stock clutch where. Was it fairly strong? Or if I should upgrade, what would you guys recommend?

Right now its all stock, but the motor will probably be freshened up soon. It's getting a little tired. The most that I would do to the engine is probably a little bigger cam, clean up the ports in the heads a touch and an intake manifold. So realistically, probably 350 whp is more than a gracious estimate. This is just going to be a daily driver.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at our Level 1 Monster, it's currently on sale for $125 off with free shipping. Don't hesitate with any questions or calling to place an order, Chris 817-750-2000
Old 03-21-2014, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Sounds great! I sent you an email
Old 03-21-2014, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cph15
Hi guys, I know this is probably beat to death but I couldn't really find anything when I searched the forum.

I recently bought a 98 firebird and I can hear the throwout bearing on its way out. I'm going to go ahead and replace the clutch and probably flywheel while I'm at it, as I should. I'm just wondering what your guy's opinions on the stock clutch where. Was it fairly strong? Or if I should upgrade, what would you guys recommend?

Right now its all stock, but the motor will probably be freshened up soon. It's getting a little tired. The most that I would do to the engine is probably a little bigger cam, clean up the ports in the heads a touch and an intake manifold. So realistically, probably 350 whp is more than a gracious estimate. This is just going to be a daily driver.
I'm stuck in a slightly similar situation. My clutch is gone. The difference here is I KNOW I'm gonna end up dumping a ton of power into my setup so im opting for a triple disk. AND this is my daily driver.

I would say the factory clutch would be a waste of both time and money. IF you stick with that power goal then just about any level 1 from one of the sponsors will more than handle your needs.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thetmeister05
I'm stuck in a slightly similar situation. My clutch is gone. The difference here is I KNOW I'm gonna end up dumping a ton of power into my setup so im opting for a triple disk. AND this is my daily driver.

I would say the factory clutch would be a waste of both time and money. IF you stick with that power goal then just about any level 1 from one of the sponsors will more than handle your needs.
Well I'm leaning towards the monster clutch, especially if its $125 off! I guess I just have to decide if I'm wanting to go with the lightened flywheel or not.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cph15
Well I'm leaning towards the monster clutch, especially if its $125 off! I guess I just have to decide if I'm wanting to go with the lightened flywheel or not.
I would go with the 18lb flywheel as the 28lb is the same weight as a LS7 clutch, which adds weight in a LS1 application and our light weight flywheel is not as drastic of a change.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for Monster! my stock LS6 was having issues, so I upgraded to their level 2 single disc kit with 18LB flywheel...IMHO the car drives better than stock...I say if you plan on doing any internal engine work, go with the level 2 - extra 100hp capacity for almost same price, better than stock driveability...it's a beefier setup, but with the lightweight flywheel, the whole assembly is a few LBS lighter than stock, so it's also worth some power @ the wheels
also, do it right the first time and throw in a Tick adjustable master cylinder and speed bleeder
Tick Performance sells all of this as one kit, everything you need for a wicked setup that's far superior to stock and will take a beating!
And while the flywheel is off, good opportunity to change the rear main seal

Last edited by manzo81maro; 03-24-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Stock Clutch or Upgrade?