Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible fuel smell

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Horrible fuel smell

Just looking for advice or tricks to help track down a fuel leak/smell.. I got the car out of storage this year and have drove it twice.. both my wife and I smell badly of gas when we get done driving the car so its completely turned her off of even riding in it.. I have visually looked under the hood to see if an injector is leaking but dont see anything.. I have removed the cats but its been that way for 3 years.. I thought for a brief moment just to paper towels around each injector to see if they get wet but that seems like a bad idea since I would have to make a WOT pull to see if that is when they leak.. Im just at a loss.. but gotta get it fixed

Its a 00 Corvette 6 speed, LT's ORX, Nitrous Outlet plate kit, stock fuel system except I installed the larger 28lb injectors instead of the 26ers it came with.. injectors have been in for three years as well.. It was dyno tuned a couple years ago so shouldnt be running rich or anything.. Really nothing has changed on the car except it sat for 5 months
Old 03-26-2014, 09:40 AM

Default Fuel Smell is GM Problem

My '06 Z06 had a fuel odor around rear of the car by rear wheels and trunk area- near the gas tanks. If your odor emanates from there, it might be the same problem. GM used a sealant around both fuel tanks (my car has two smaller tanks rather than one large one). This sealant breaks down in warm climates. I live in South Florida. It might do the same if it sits for long periods of time, I don't know. My repair cost $4K but I got a break and only had to pay $2K. They would not cover it on warranty since it had expired at the time.

I can't imagine this is not a huge problem for cars in Arizona, Texas, Florida etc. Keep me posted. Thanks
Dale
dromanik2@comcast.net
Old 03-26-2014, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Appreciate the input.. really havent tracked the odor down really.. I cant pull the car in the garage after a drive until it sits outside for a while and cools down otherwise it stinks up the whole house.. also we notice we both smell of fuel and pretty much strip down and throw the clothes we were wearing in the washer immediatley.. I will be doing a cam swap in a couple of weeks and will go through everything really well to make sure I dont have any leaks.. I know its near impossible to diagnose a car on the internet.. just hoped maybe someone had some weird trick to help me "sniff" it out lol
Old 03-26-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How's the gas mileage ?
Old 03-26-2014, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Havent really checked it.. only took it out twice so far this year.. both were very short drives.. like 2 miles at most
Old 03-27-2014, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds to me like you have a fuel leak in a line, between the fuel pump and the injectors. Since it's very strong inside the car, I would check the high pressure line from the tank for leaks. It sounds like you're spraying fuel somewhere, smelly, and a danger of fire !
Old 03-27-2014, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Any steel braided AN lines in the system?

Quick Reply: Horrible fuel smell