Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a diesel 4L80E with a gas engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a diesel 4L80E with a gas engine?

Hello all. This is my first post on here and look forward to learning some stuff. I have searched this subject but did not find anything specifically on it. Not to say it's not out there just didn't find it. I am actually working on a 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner. I want to use the 4L80E behind a turbo bigblock. I have found a diesel tranny for cheaper than the gas ones. It is 2WD and spins freely and has no metal in the pan. It will be rebuilt and have a transbrake installed. Can I use a diesel tranny if it will be rebuilt and have the valve body replaced. I plan on using Jakes Performance for parts. If I can use it what all will need to be changed. I understand the diesel one uses different info than gas. Will the connector be different also? Also is there a difference with internals? Planets, ratios, clutch packs, etc...? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. Sorry for the long post and sorry if this has been covered already.
Chris
Old 04-01-2014, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dart69bigblock
Hello all. This is my first post on here and look forward to learning some stuff. I have searched this subject but did not find anything specifically on it. Not to say it's not out there just didn't find it. I am actually working on a 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner. I want to use the 4L80E behind a turbo bigblock. I have found a diesel tranny for cheaper than the gas ones. It is 2WD and spins freely and has no metal in the pan. It will be rebuilt and have a transbrake installed. Can I use a diesel tranny if it will be rebuilt and have the valve body replaced. I plan on using Jakes Performance for parts. If I can use it what all will need to be changed. I understand the diesel one uses different info than gas. Will the connector be different also? Also is there a difference with internals? Planets, ratios, clutch packs, etc...? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. Sorry for the long post and sorry if this has been covered already.
Chris
Diesel and gas transmission are the same got 2 sitting in front of me
Old 04-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Teching In

I was assuming the transmission itself was the same. Is there a difference with the wire harness? I read that the gas and diesel are pinned different. Is this correct? If so does this mean the solenoids ate different.
Thanks
Old 04-04-2014, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this a 4x4 80e?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Teching In

No this is a 2wd
Old 04-04-2014, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My trans came from a diesel '96 Silverado 4x4. I had it converted by my trans builder into a 2wd setup and he put all new solenoids and harness in. Trans works perfectly fine
Old 04-10-2014, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

The difference is the Converter!!! The stall is Way lower in a Diesel... I used a gasser 80E in the Ole Ladies Dually Rod & used Tractor Hyd/Trans fluid to tighten the converter a LiL Matter of fact the Trans I removed will go to Jakes for a rebuild before it gets bolted to My 396 LTx stroker nitrous build Itll get a new converter though LoL

Quick Reply: Using a diesel 4L80E with a gas engine?