LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Budget rebuild recommendations? 503 cam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Budget rebuild recommendations? 503 cam?

I know this question comes up a lot, and yes I've searched around, but I'm still trying to piece this build together. I was planning on building a 383 LE2 build when the funds were available, but it looks like the rebuild may be here sooner than I thought and I just don't have the funds for an expensive build. A couple of days ago I was sitting at a red light and check gauges light comes on. My oil psi was in the red. Gave it a little throttle and the psi goes up and the light turns off. This has happened twice now, only when the car has been running about an hour. Quick trips this doesn't happen. The car has had a slight tapping noise that comes and goes and it's been that way for a few years. Granted I only dive the car around 10-20 times a yr. Mostly sits in the garage. I replaced the lifters thinking that was the problem, but it still does the same thing. I did order a mechanical oil pressure gauge that should be here tomorrow so I can check the actual psi and go from there, but I think its a bearing issue.
Currently I have my brothers low mileage short block sitting in my garage. When he bought the car it supposedly was a crate motor that replaced the blown original. It only has around 20,000 miles on it. 1000 or which had a le2 setup on it until he pulled it out for his 383 build. It looks to be in good shape so I'm going to take it to my local machine shop to have them disassemble it, clean it, replace parts if needed, and then use it in my car. I was told by the shop that they will do that for $250. Which I think is a pretty good deal. Of course if anything need to be replaced it will cost more.
Since I don't have the $ for heads now I figured I might as well throw a cam in while its out. Since it will be stock headed I was looking at going with a Comp 503. I figured that I already have the supporting mods in my car to run this cam. 3.42 rear, lts, 2500 stall, hardened push rods, nsa comp pro mag rrs with 7/16 studs and gm guide plates, (lt4 springs that I know are junk)

So the recommendations I'm looking for are... Is this a good cam for a stock bottom end? Any other cams? Do I really need to have the rods resized and add arp bolts? What springs to go with? Any kits that come with locators, retainers, locks? I was looking at the bullet vs 2700 springs but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews. Can I just get a replacement stock timing chain or do I really need a extreme duty for $300? Will 30 lb injectors be fine for this app? Should I use a stock replacement oil pump? Anything I'm missing? Please remember that is a budget build just to get my car back on the road.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

First off there are two contradictions to your post. Not being offensive, but if you only drive the car 10-20 times a year that's 1-2 times a month...don't restrict yourself to a budget. Just save up, do it the way you want, the way you know is right, and do it THE FIRST TIME.

I'm sure many of the fossils around here will agree, it might save money in the short term, but if you want to keep the car for the foreseeable future, just knock it out once.

As far as your cam choice etc, MY FIRST...setup was a cam only 503 setup. I loved the **** out of it. It was a 6 speed though in comparison. To this day I swear it was more peppy then my H/C setup currently is, well was...I'm about to start assembling my third and final setup. (remember do it once, BELIEVE me).

I'd say my best advice is to think long and hard on if you want to cheap out now, on a car you hardly drive (I can't say much since it's been 4 months almost for me).
Old 04-03-2014, 02:30 PM
Launching!

There's a few reasons why I don't drive my car that much.The main reason being is that most of the time I have to drive my truck to work. Some days at work I'm driving down a dirt road with cattle guards and my car sits way too low. Another reason is I still haven't fixed my damn t-top leak. Every time I think about driving it to work it decides to rain. I know excuses excuses. Once I do get the motor squared away I will be driving it a lot more.

I completely agree with doing it right the 1st time. I research a lot before I buy any parts. That's the reason why I did NSA 7/16 Comp Pro mags when I did my roller rockers. Just so that when I did upgrade I wouldn't have to change them again.

I would love to do a complete build now but there are other priorities and bills that have to come 1st. So I think that rebuilding the bottom end on my extra short block and throwing a cam in should keep me content for now. Should I add arp bolts to the stock rods or just leave them alone?

So as for the cam. Sounds like the 503 is a good choice. I've seen some used LE cams in the for sale section but I don't think they'll be good with stock heads. Now for the springs what should I go with? I've seen people running the bullet springs and they seem to be on the cheap side and I'm not too sure about taking out the dampener. Others have run the crane kit that I think are double springs. I originally thought about the comp 918s but all these stories about a bad batch has me worried about them. Would the PAC 1218 be a good choice and work later if I did go with a better heads and cam setup? Exp LE2.

Quick Reply: Budget rebuild recommendations? 503 cam?