General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help diagnosing a weird noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help diagnosing a weird noise?

I've got a 98 Z28 and its been making this weird whirring noise, it almost sounds like a door chime that is constantly on, but a lower tone.

-it makes this noise when the key is in the "on" position, engine running or not. All the time.
-Not the air pump as I pulled all that **** off
-not fuel pump
-can only hear it in the cabin, but can't really pin point where from
-when rolling windows up and they get to the the top, if I keep the button depressed the noise changes tone until you let off. (the lights also dim a little bit, maybe connected?)
-Could it be related to audio system? Car has made this noise since I bought it a year ago. When I got it it had the original CD player in it, which did not work. I swapped in a tape deck from another Camaro. But it didn't make a change in the noise.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 328 Likes on 300 Posts

Sounds electrical. I'd start by pulling fuses until you find the one that is related and start drilling down from there. The first ones I'd try are the windows and radio.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the wire harness for the CD player. If the power wire is too close to the positive and negative wires for the radio output you will hear the electrical current through the speakers as a buzzing noise.

Also check the doors if you have installed new speakers to be sure the wires are all insulated.

I have an alpine 9815 head unit which required a secondary power source for the internal amp, I had to wrap all of the speaker wires going into the head unit harness because I was getting a constant buzzing noise from the power wires
Old 04-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I will check that out. It's got stock speakers, and makes the noise with the radio on or off.

Quick Reply: Help diagnosing a weird noise?