Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 LQ9 Must Do upgrades before install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 06:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2002 LQ9 Must Do upgrades before install?

I am swapping a 54k mile 2002 DBW LQ9 into my 99 tahoe. Are there any things I really ought to do to the engine before putting it in? On the one hand I want to make this swap as painless and quick as possible, so I really don't want to make it more complicated, but on the other, its never easier to do "must do" mods than when the engine is out.

For example, is it a great idea to swap to the NNBS intake before I'm doing my wiring harness upgrades anyway? I've heard something about the LS6 valley cover for oil consumption, is that necessary? Also upgraded LS6 oil pump? What would you say are no-brainers?

Then are there a second class of "this is really easy, just do it now" that you don't have to do, but make sense. In my case, my intended usage is daily driver, never see greater than 5500 rpm. But if there is anything I should do for driveability or low rpm torque, LMK. Are there any cam swaps that are a "really" great idea for that usage--and it needs to be really good cuz I don't want to go into the engine if possible.

TIA for your ideas
Old 04-17-2014, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a NNBS intake while you are at it. It will be worth it.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does that work w/existing DBW Throttle Body? Would it work w/Cable if I wanted to go that route? What years work for this?

Also, if I go with the NNBS intake, can my 0411 PCM control the new DBW throttle body that goes with it or do I need to get the adapter plate and use my existing 3 bolt DBW throttle body? If I do use an 02 DBW or Cable TB, will I still get much benefit from the intake?

Last edited by Goldhawg; 04-17-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: add'l ??s
Old 05-04-2014, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got a TBSS manifold, and am going to go with the Ballistic Speed DBC 90mm throttle body. The MAF in my engine was wrecked; any recco on MAF's for this setup? There is a guy selling an LS7 MAF and Ballistic Speed MAF housing on the classified; would that work here? Also, it appears that I can swap the stock injectors on to the TBSS manifold and not have to get the casper's conversion wire ($12 X 8). Is there any reason why the newer injectors are preferred such that I ought to shell out for the wiring connector conversions?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200674474775

Last edited by Goldhawg; 05-04-2014 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 2002 LQ9 Must Do upgrades before install?