General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Opinions on a good stout battery that won't break the bank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 11:55 AM
8 Second Club

Received 757 Likes on 556 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Opinions on a good stout battery that won't break the bank?

Better off just going to the local parts store and getting a top notch battery from them? (AcDelco, Duralast etc) Calling around my local stores they all offer their brand of 3 year warranty battery for around $125.

My current optima redtop is only 3 years old and already taking a dump. (was in the car when I bought it) They run around $209-224 for the same 3 year warranty and I've heard alot of people having issues with these.

Or have you all had better luck ordering "special" batteries online for comparable prices?

My odyssey PC925 was around the same price shipped. It's been in my LSx race car for over 2 years now and it's always worked great as well.

Thanks

Last edited by Forcefed86; 04-23-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:07 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm happy with my ACDelco replacement.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

There are really only 3 manufacturers who make car batteries in the US: Delphi (who makes ACDelco), Exide, and Johnson Controls, who makes the majority of the name brands, including Optima.

Interstate Batteries? Made by Johnson Controls, NAPA Batteries? Exide. Duralast? Johnson Controls. Die Hard? Johnson Controls. So don't get too hung up on whatever brand name is on the outside.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

AC Delco Professional (this is their highest warranty level version). They always have lasted me 5-7 years. In fact, I've never had one die, I just replace them in that 5-7 year window to avoid issues.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:12 PM
8 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

I was thinking more in terms of longevity VS cost. My wifes new 2006 Scion came with an interstate battery from the factory. Lasted almost 8 years! I know there are alot of variables, but it seems I never get more than 2-3 years out of a battery on any of my daily cars. (no nutty electronics/stereos etc) I assumed the optima redtop (dated 2011) would still be going strong at this point.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
My wifes new 2006 Scion came with an interstate battery from the factory. Lasted almost 8 years! I know there are alot of variables, but it seems I never get more than 2-3 years out of a battery on any of my daily cars.
Your wife probably puts more miles on her car than you do yours, right? Is your car a low mileage car? If so, you should be worried about the type of battery vs. brand. (As noted above, most batteries are a total commodity unless the brand aligns to a specific technical feature, like the Optimas do.)

Lead acid batteries are not complicated. You have a plastic case, lead and acid. The more expensive batteries with longer warranties will generally have purer (chemically) materials, which will last longer. However, some batteries like to be used and can loose capacity if they sit for long periods of time.

If your batteries are sitting idle for long periods of time, you may need a battery tender or to consider a deep cycle battery.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally I get my batteries from the local Advance Auto, primarily because you can do the online checkout/pickup in store option and use promo codes that will save you up to 50 dollars off (current codes I know of would knock 40 off the Autocraft Gold or 50 off the Redtop).
Old 04-24-2014, 01:07 PM
8 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by wssix99
Your wife probably puts more miles on her car than you do yours, right? Is your car a low mileage car? If so, you should be worried about the type of battery vs. brand. (As noted above, most batteries are a total commodity unless the brand aligns to a specific technical feature, like the Optimas do.)

Lead acid batteries are not complicated. You have a plastic case, lead and acid. The more expensive batteries with longer warranties will generally have purer (chemically) materials, which will last longer. However, some batteries like to be used and can loose capacity if they sit for long periods of time.

If your batteries are sitting idle for long periods of time, you may need a battery tender or to consider a deep cycle battery.
No the wife put well under 10k a year on her car. Though the first 2 years of its life were in FL where it did not have to do winters. 40k on the car when sold last year, purchased new in 2005.

I believe most autostore batters are reconditioned and clean/reuse the same electrode plates. These plates wear over time and do not work as well as a new plate. That is why a new lead acid battery will usually outlast/out-perform a reconditioned battery.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:43 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I believe most autostore batters are reconditioned and clean/reuse the same electrode plates. These plates wear over time and do not work as well as a new plate. That is why a new lead acid battery will usually outlast/out-perform a reconditioned battery.
Lead batteries are one of the most recycled items in the world. I'm not sure its even possible to get a lead acid battery containing virgin materials.

From what I understand, the lead plates build up impurities on their surface as they are cycle, which causes their capacity to drop. When batteries are recycled, the plates are melted down and then re-cast it to new plates. From there, its a matter of what purity of materials go in to new batteries. I understand that the batteries with the longer warranties on them will have fewer impurities.

The interesting thing is that if lead is like steel (I'm not sure if it is) the recycled stuff will be a higher grade than newly mined metal. (Each time its re-melted, more impurities come out.)
Old 04-25-2014, 10:17 AM
8 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by wssix99
Lead batteries are one of the most recycled items in the world. I'm not sure its even possible to get a lead acid battery containing virgin materials.

From what I understand, the lead plates build up impurities on their surface as they are cycle, which causes their capacity to drop. When batteries are recycled, the plates are melted down and then re-cast it to new plates. From there, its a matter of what purity of materials go in to new batteries. I understand that the batteries with the longer warranties on them will have fewer impurities.

The interesting thing is that if lead is like steel (I'm not sure if it is) the recycled stuff will be a higher grade than newly mined metal. (Each time its re-melted, more impurities come out.)
From what I've read your core batteries are sent "off-shore" in bulk where they pull out the old plates, bead blast or even wire brush them clean and then dropped back in a new plastic battery case. Usually done where the labor is dirt cheap and the quality control is very poor. Just like every thing else from you local Autozone,Advanced Auto, etc)

I'm sure a melted down recycled plate would work just fine. I'd call that "new".
Old 04-25-2014, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ghardester
There are really only 3 manufacturers who make car batteries in the US: Delphi (who makes ACDelco), Exide, and Johnson Controls, who makes the majority of the name brands, including Optima.

Interstate Batteries? Made by Johnson Controls, NAPA Batteries? Exide. Duralast? Johnson Controls. Die Hard? Johnson Controls. So don't get too hung up on whatever brand name is on the outside.

also Deka battery in Kutztown Pa is a large manufacturer of all types of batteries.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ I never knew they were based in K-town!

Maybe that's why the local (Quakertown) distributor was pushing their Intimadator series AGMs so hard.

Quick Reply: Opinions on a good stout battery that won't break the bank?