Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need some gear and tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some gear and tire advice

I'm about to order a 9in and do not know what gear to buy. The car is a 99 Camaro SS with a mti lid and borla catback. Its a 6spd car and I do not know what the car would mph so gear calculators have not been working. I don't want to cross the 1/4 at too high of an rpm because I've heard some horror stories about the springs and rod bolts in these cars. The car will be on a 15x10 rts with most likely a 26in tall tire, unless a 27in would work better or even fit. The car is stock ride height right now. Eventually I want to do a H/C/I set up but, for now its just has a borla catback and I may be getting long tubes soon to. So what should I mph? Should I get 26 or 27in tall tire? and what gear? I was thinking a 4.30? Help me choose a gear so I could make mwc some money
Old 04-24-2014, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've never had the car at the track to see what it mphs? As the car sits it probably would mph around 105-108 or so. I would recommend 4.10s for you based on my experience. I trap close to 108, through the lights at 5700 with a 26" M/T ET street bias ply. The added weight and parasitic drag of the 9 inch will slow your mph some from what it will do with the 10 bolt, I lost 1 mph with the S60. If you go h/c/i your redline will go up along with faster mph through the traps. 4.10s will carry you a long way and are great on the street. If you had a solid base of 1/4 mile info for your car you could tailor your gears better, but again the 4.10/26 inch tire are a great all around ratio.
Other gear/tire combos that give the same roll out are:
4.30/27"
4.56/28"
Play around with this gear calculator, http://f-body.org/gears/
Old 04-24-2014, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by guppymech
You've never had the car at the track to see what it mphs? As the car sits it probably would mph around 105-108 or so. I would recommend 4.10s for you based on my experience. I trap close to 108, through the lights at 5700 with a 26" M/T ET street bias ply. The added weight and parasitic drag of the 9 inch will slow your mph some from what it will do with the 10 bolt, I lost 1 mph with the S60. If you go h/c/i your redline will go up along with faster mph through the traps. 4.10s will carry you a long way and are great on the street. If you had a solid base of 1/4 mile info for your car you could tailor your gears better, but again the 4.10/26 inch tire are a great all around ratio.
Other gear/tire combos that give the same roll out are:
4.30/27"
4.56/28"
Play around with this gear calculator, http://f-body.org/gears/
No never had the car at the track it just came out of storage not too long ago. Thanks a lot for the response it helped a lot. So would a 27in tall tire fit on the car with out any modification like rolling fenders or doing anything to the bumpstops?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry don't know about the 27s fitting. Check out this article, it's one of my favorites and full of good info.
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...1s_bone_stock/
Old 04-24-2014, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by guppymech
Sorry don't know about the 27s fitting. Check out this article, it's one of my favorites and full of good info. http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...1s_bone_stock/
It's funny you posted this, I was just looking at the article the other day. The proof is in the pudding right there, it doesn't take a lot of rwhp to run a good E.T. Just a well thought out set up.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SMR#002
I'm about to order a 9in and do not know what gear to buy. The car is a 99 Camaro SS with a mti lid and borla catback. Its a 6spd car and I do not know what the car would mph so gear calculators have not been working. I don't want to cross the 1/4 at too high of an rpm because I've heard some horror stories about the springs and rod bolts in these cars. The car will be on a 15x10 rts with most likely a 26in tall tire, unless a 27in would work better or even fit. The car is stock ride height right now. Eventually I want to do a H/C/I set up but, for now its just has a borla catback and I may be getting long tubes soon to. So what should I mph? Should I get 26 or 27in tall tire? and what gear? I was thinking a 4.30? Help me choose a gear so I could make mwc some money
The 4.11 is by far the most popular gear we sell for the M6 cars. Always go with the tallest tire you can fit, and a M6 car you will want to use a bias tire like a ET Street or Quick Time Pro. A 4.30 will work now, but as you put more power in the car you will need less gear. I can bet you will not see one bit of difference in performance going from the 4.11 to the 4.30, and for that matter if you plan on a power adder at any point I would say a 3.89 may be a better choice. Regardless it is just a gear, not that it cannot be changed if need be.

The 27s will work as will a 28. The 28 will most likely have minor clearance issues with the bumper cover. Rolling the fender depends on your ride height, and with a street/strip car I suggest no more than 1" lowered height. You will want to get setup with a set of adjustable lca's to help center the rear tire in the opening, and a anti-roll will help keep the body off the tire and consistent straight launches at the same time.

Quick Reply: Need some gear and tire advice