Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Z28, TB/Intake/Goo questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 Z28, TB/Intake/Goo questions

Maybe someone can clue me in a little bit, trying to make this thing as tight and reliable as possible.

Why is this all nasty? Water in oil? My LT1 car did this too.

Among finding my lid is cracked and needs some glue/replaced, took the throttle body off. This thing is gross.

I knew it was ported but...bondo?! Damn. Should this be replaced? Could this be my goofy/surging idle cause?

Intake is gross too:

Cant see much inside of the intake. Its supposed to be ported by previous owner as well..yes its a stock LS1 intake.

At this point I was thinking about taking the intake, and valve covers off. Wondering what kind of port job the intake has since the MAF and TB both look to be hack job at best. Also I wasn't given any info on what springs/rockers the car has. Could it still be on stock springs/rockers and if so, is 6500 rpm safe?
Car has TR224/224/112 cam.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it looks like that black catch can is full or not catching the oil and water vapor. Bad PCV valve, dunno. That isn't coolant in your oil is it? Just curious if head gasket is bad.

I've always heard not to port the LS1 and LS6 intake unless you are really good at that craft. I don't think PEAK even does it on those.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The catch can was full when I emptied it a few weeks ago, it had also been hooked up backwards.

Not coolant, looks like moisture from short trips according to my local fbody page.

Really wish I could afford a Fast intake, TB, etc
Old 04-30-2014, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the catch can was full, it was just sloshing around and overflowing in the TB and inside the intake. Amen on that FAST setup, it is on my wish list. All that gunk should be easy to clean out and spray some electronic cleaner on that MAF. You can pick up a POTZ ported and polished TB from EBAY for cheap.

Quick Reply: 98 Z28, TB/Intake/Goo questions