LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stumble & Misfire = OH Sh*$#

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stumble & Misfire = OH Sh*$#

94 z28 sat all winter , so took it for about an hour ride. On the way home , leaving a red light, the car stumbled, coughed, had no power, "Service engine soon" light came on, but the car ran fine after that. The light stayed on until I turned the car off, When I restarted it it ran perfect with no check engine light.
I put on free scan tried to duplicate problem , and came up with error 36 code, high resolution failure. The car started hard but ran good (but in open loop).(I don't know, what that means).
I unhooked computer and took for a spirited ride, The car stumbled, farted, and coughed under heavy acceleration and engine light came on again.
Got it home and turned it off, the (Service engine soon light), went off, so took it for two more spirted rides around the block and ran strong and hard.
I obviously have a problem, and Don't want to change out the opti unless im sure that's the problem.
Heart surgery set me back some, I cant switch without help.
Ive ordered a new opti cable, to rule out any connection problems.
And the opti is 4 years old with about 4000 miles on it (chandler), and yes, rotor srews were thread locked and outer case sealed.
Motor has no leaks.
For you guys,that probably forgot more than I know, Thank you for you help , In Advance.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Probably is not the rotor, but rather the opti sensor since you are actually getting a code. A lose rotor will not trigger a DTC. But yeah, my money is on your opti.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is a little out in left field, but did you put any fuel stabilizer in the car before you stored it? If not, MAYBE you've now got a bad fuel problem....or, maybe a slightly clogged fuel filter.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I know this is a little out in left field, but did you put any fuel stabilizer in the car before you stored it? If not, MAYBE you've now got a bad fuel problem....or, maybe a slightly clogged fuel filter.
no stabilizer, did fill with 93 bp, I guess its worth a try, would bad fuel light up "service engine soon" light??
Old 05-10-2014, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cookietime
no stabilizer, did fill with 93 bp, I guess its worth a try, would bad fuel light up "service engine soon" light??
I'm no OBDI guy but a code 36, high res failure is definitely pointing directly at the opti. Bad fuel may set a DTC, but you'd more likely see it as a cyl misfire code...
Old 05-12-2014, 07:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

a 94 won't throw a cylinder misfire code.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Default Bad feul And error code???

Originally Posted by cookietime
Engine died a couple minutes after startup.
I put in some feul stabilizer and cleared the code, and seems to run great. no engine light, Just Poking and hoping no more error code.
Went for a nice ride and no problems, ?Would bad fuel pull a code???
Misfire under load, hard starting,(only when engine light is on)????
Old 05-13-2014, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

high res failure is usually an opti problem

Quick Reply: Stumble & Misfire = OH Sh*$#