LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hooker Headers Good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Hooker Headers Good?

I am looking at putting headers on my 96 lt1 m6 over this upcoming winter. I was looking at the hooker super comp headers ceramic coated.

Should I go with 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 size. Engine is stock with possible cam and head mods 3 years down the road. I also need to find a y-pipe to go with them.

Any particular fitment issues with these headers? Any loss of low end torque with them?
Old 05-10-2014, 11:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are expensive headers - $700 or $800. Until u learn what u want save your $$$ and just buy cheap headers or even used headers (<$200). The larger 1&3/4 tubes are for the larger cubed/hp engines. U will be ok using 1&5/8 tubes on a stock 350".

Im on my second set of headers - both shorties because smog legal. But the limiting part is the single 3" pipe cat back. It just doesnt flow enough for > 400hp. No single cats or single mufflers can support > 400hp. I had the mufflex 4" pipe with single cat and still have the spintech muffler. But it was way to loud and wouldnt pass smog. So i'll be redoing my entire exh sys this year or next.

So what im saying is start with some good used headers and build your exh sys from that. U have to sort it out for yourself. U may want duals or even 4" single pipe but will need to try a muffler or 2 before choosing is final.

Hope this helps,
cardo
Old 05-11-2014, 06:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I hear LPP is making another run.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I can tell you right now that I don't want to be buying a set of headers and go through all the pain in the a$$ to install them and then find out that I have to take them off and buy another pair and go through the same headache, I want to get it right the first time. My motor will be pushing around 400 crank hp in the future so would 1 5/8 be big enough or should I just slap some 1 3/4 on right away so I don't have to worry about it later. I also don't want to lose low end torque so my instinct is to go with the 1 5/8. I want to get it right the first time and put a nice set of headers on the first time. I have seen the hooker headers for as low as 300-450 bucks which I think is worth it, they are ceramic coated and they make good power most people say. My only muffler is a muffler in the I pipe, not sure what it is. I have stainless duals behind the I pipe with no mufflers.

Quick Reply: Hooker Headers Good?