Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking at 45 but not at 70

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking at 45 but not at 70

Just got done putting a yank 3600 converter in my car. After install test drove it and got the fluid level perfect. The car shifts fine around town and locks up at 45. Sometimes I have to take my foot off the gas for it to go into lock but it does go in. On my way to get my tune done at speed inc on the highway I noticed it doesnt lock up, or if it does it comes out soon after.

So today I was trying to duplicate the problem and I found out how.

So I'll get it up to 45 mph and have it lock. While locked I can get the mph up to around 65 then the converter will unlock and the rmps will raise. And it won't lock back up for awhile

If I accelerate harder with out going into lock before hitting 65 it won't lock at all.

I know I have a bad 02 because of an exhaust leak that comes and goes.
I read into misfiress causing my problem but I don't get any codes for them.

I'm really stuck on what it could be anyone with any ideas just let me know. I would appreciate it.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did Speed Inc tune the car or no? Sounds like a tune problem.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

pay close attention to your throttle movements, it requires at least so much throttle and load to lock and if you let up on the throttle or the load drops off it will usually unlock

they might need to be fine tuned in the tune for your driving style and habits if it bothers you
Old 05-14-2014, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
Did Speed Inc tune the car or no? Sounds like a tune problem.
Yes Speed inc tuned the car. I was thinking that it was a tune issue too.

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
pay close attention to your throttle movements, it requires at least so much throttle and load to lock and if you let up on the throttle or the load drops off it will usually unlock

they might need to be fine tuned in the tune for your driving style and habits if it bothers you
I thought that I was maybe hitting the pedal a little hard then usual but I made sure that it wasn't the case. I keep my foot steady on the pedal while accelerating while the converter is lock. I can be in lock at 45 and slowly accelerate up to around 65 where the car just unlocks and wont go back into Lock up for a good amount of time. The pedal position never changed.

I found similar issues on corvette forums and they said it could be a lot of things from the TPS to the Brake pedal switch being loose. Also said something about the engine detecting misfires, even though you don't get a light, and that will unlock the converter as well.

I'm email speed inc and see what they have to say. Hopefully its just a tune issue.

Quick Reply: Locking at 45 but not at 70