Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Metallic rattle in the shifter, tunnel area

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metallic rattle in the shifter, tunnel area

Just got my car back from IPS after it being gone for more than a year. I have put a few hundred miles on it and it has developed a metallic rattle in the console area. Under normal driving it's not very noticeable but at higher rpms it is really awful! It gets louder as the rpms go up. I've checked underneath the car and didn't see anything obvious. No exhaust leaks or anything lose. Not sure what to check next. It seems to drive fine except for noise. The car is an 02 ZO6.

Last edited by james1098; 06-02-2014 at 12:21 AM. Reason: wrong area described
Old 06-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Just wondering if it could be the torque tube??????
Anyone.....
Old 06-02-2014, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes it could be the torque tube, it could be in the trans, it could be the rear end, it could be the tunnel pan. I recent saw a c5 that some how had broke the bell housing too. My car is in the shop having the trans and rear done. It was grinding in 4th and there was whining from the rear end. Originally I thought it was all in the trans. After we got everything out, we found out the rear was bad too.

Unfortunately you are going to have to pull it apart to really find out whats wrong.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^...gotta pull it apart but first, see if you can get the car on a flat lift and give it a listen from underneath the vehicle. Noises can be projected obviously through out the vehicle....so make sure it is indeed DRIVELINE related...before you go diving in.

Could be the torque tube bushings...the twinning could be coming apart, making contact with the inner tube itself. Or,..you could just have a loose tunnel plate....

Happy hunting, best wishes.

Lots of possibilities though unfortunately none easy that I can think of. Does
Old 06-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

I've been under the car with it running. Couldn't really hear much. The only time it does it is at higher rpms when the car is moving. Very little noise at all when it's not. It's definitely coming from the front. The couplers were replaced about 5k ago so I don't think it's that. The noise started all of a sudden when I was driving at about 30mph. Everything seems to work fine except for the rattle....
Old 06-03-2014, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

I had a similar noise, ended up being the shifter bolts were loosening up.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmmmmmm....
Old 06-03-2014, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Can you look inside the bellhousing? Still have a 2 piece? Maybe drop the lower cover, taking note if any junk inside..
Old 06-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

I'm going to start pulling stuff off tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be something noticeable. Or drive it till something flies apart.....
Old 06-03-2014, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by james1098
I'm going to start pulling stuff off tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be something noticeable. Or drive it till something flies apart.....

Don't beat on it.... I had a clutch failure once(zero warning)..came apart at about 5800rpm and completely totaled the car. coulda lost legs...

Maybe take a local VETTE TECH for a ride...and give it a listen. Chassis ears are good to use cause you can put the MIC's on what you THINK it may be so you can cancel out other possibilities at one at a time.

Chasiss/driveline noises suck ***.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Don't beat on it.... I had a clutch failure once(zero warning)..came apart at about 5800rpm and completely totaled the car. coulda lost legs...

Maybe take a local VETTE TECH for a ride...and give it a listen. Chassis ears are good to use cause you can put the MIC's on what you THINK it may be so you can cancel out other possibilities at one at a time.

Yea, that would not be good....
Old 06-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

That's exactly what I was hoping to do before I started tearing into things much.....Eliminate everything I can.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

When you say console, you mean shifter/center console area?

Torx 10(or 15), a 7mm socket and 10mm socket, and you can pull the center section out,...getting you a little bit closer to the noise...perhaps you can remove shifter after removing cables and see if anything is visible with the shifter linkage area.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

When you say console, you mean shifter/center console area?

Torx 10(or 15), a 7mm socket and 10mm socket, and you can pull the center section out,...getting you a little bit closer to the noise...perhaps you can remove shifter after removing cables and see if anything is visible with the shifter linkage area.
Yea, that's where it's at. It took everything loose but the shifter. Kinda ran out of time. Hopefully I'll get it out tomorrow.
I've got a buddy who runs a shop that's gonna take a ride tomorrow also. Hopefully he will have some input as well.
Old 10-12-2023, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by james1098
Yea, that's where it's at. It took everything loose but the shifter. Kinda ran out of time. Hopefully I'll get it out tomorrow.
I've got a buddy who runs a shop that's gonna take a ride tomorrow also. Hopefully he will have some input as well.
Did you ever solve it? Here is the noise mine is making: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1UTpkV5KKEt1Ww586

Quick Reply: Metallic rattle in the shifter, tunnel area