Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

question about VSS and Holley or FAST EFI systems

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question about VSS and Holley or FAST EFI systems

Does the stand alone Holley or FAST EFI system need input from a VSS?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm putting a 5.3/4l60e into my 1985 Toyota truck that is a rock crawler. It will have dual T-cases and getting the VSS signal to work properly with the factory GM ECM is kind of a pain from what I understand. I'm thinking about going with a Holley HP or a FAST setup for ease of change for possible future motor upgrades. And I don't really want to deal with getting the factory ECM tuned and retuned every time I want to make a change. I know I could do it myself with one of the different tuners (HPtunes EFI live) but I don't know much about them or how to do the tuning. I like the Holley and the FAST for the fact that it's harder to do something to screw up the motor. They seem to "self fix" the tuning issues.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:05 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Neither the Holley nor the Fast EFI system needs a vss signal to run the engine.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blown06
Neither the Holley nor the Fast EFI system needs a vss signal to run the engine.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
theoretically neither does the stock pcm.. All of those computers are going to need a VSS signal to run that transmission....
Old 06-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Teching In

After some more research it looks like the best way to deal with the VSS is to use a aftermarket VSS set up that relocates it to the adapter between the trans and the T-case. Then use a 2 wheel drive tune if you are using the factory ECM. Looks like that's the way I need to go with this.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: question about VSS and Holley or FAST EFI systems