Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bone Stock LS1

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bone Stock LS1

Hey guys, I have a bone stock LS1 with about 500 miles on it. It's in my new GTO. Was wondering what heads and cam combniation you all would recommend. I am looking to maintain streetability, and stay on 93 octane gas. I am not looking for a radiacal cam with a lot of lift, just a great working combination that adds a little lope and puts up some decent numbers...

A friend suggested the LS6 stock heads and camshaft with fuel and spark timings from the vette. Has anyone tried this?

Other suggestions welcome...

Thanks,
Stoney
Old 05-20-2004, 12:22 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/163744-camshaft-discussion-cfm-requirements-rpm.html

for the price of stock 243 castings they are not worth it, better off picking some stg 1 or 2 heads from AS, TEA, PP, MTI, Cartek, FFHP, ect.

then a 220 to 228 cam on a 112 should suite your application.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:25 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

but seeing as how your bone stock your better off with bolt ons before jumping into h/c.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

We're in an interesting situation w/ the GTO right now. It's easier to get into the engine from the aftermarket than it is to do bolt-on's because the car is so new, but the engine isn't. There is only one Header available - and even it requires welding on the exhaust to make it work. There's a smooth tube from the MAF to intake, but there's no air box so the cone filter lies in the engine compartment. We already get the LS6 intake. We get the new water pump housing (mostly) so you have to modify it to use the existing low temperature t-stats.
Dan
Old 05-20-2004, 11:56 AM
FormerVendor

We have all the boltons available that is definatly where to start. Yes the headers require the exhaust to be modified for the cats. We also have a intake with the air box and evans will have a T-stat for the new motor very soon. Brakes, gears, posi units, suspention.... We can also help you out with the mild heads and cam combo. We could do a good NastyPerformance hand ported Stage 2 head for about $1700 and a mild cam with some lope and great drivability to match Under $2500 for the complete kit heads, cam, gaskets and bolts.

Nate