General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

this could be bad....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 05:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this could be bad....

tonight my family had a huge gathering (~200 people) and as I'm heading back toward the party from having gone to acquire more beer for my old man and uncles... the intersection light had the nerve to turn yellow on me! I did what was fit and proper- downshifted and went wot ... lol... which was all fine and dandy until I realized I was going about seventy and this intersection had a HUGE dip smacked the ground so hard that the force of the blow cracked the windshield [horribly]. I checked the underside and the air diverter thingy is fine, in fact I don't think it made contact. The K member is scratched to hell, which is understandable considering that I basically used it as a skid plate going that damn fast, but I didn't see any cracks or dents. I drove home later and was bummed out when I realized the cracks were spreading [pretty damn quickly] just from the vibrations of the car. It's late and dark right now, so when I wake up I'll be out there to inspect in daylight but I was hoping I could get some pointers as to what exactly I should be looking for with regards to damage from this incident. If all I get out of this is a broken windshield then I will consider myself lucky. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:56 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 95Maro
tonight my family had a huge gathering (~200 people) and as I'm heading back toward the party from having gone to acquire more beer for my old man and uncles... the intersection light had the nerve to turn yellow on me! I did what was fit and proper- downshifted and went wot ... lol... which was all fine and dandy until I realized I was going about seventy and this intersection had a HUGE dip smacked the ground so hard that the force of the blow cracked the windshield [horribly]. I checked the underside and the air diverter thingy is fine, in fact I don't think it made contact. The K member is scratched to hell, which is understandable considering that I basically used it as a skid plate going that damn fast, but I didn't see any cracks or dents. I drove home later and was bummed out when I realized the cracks were spreading [pretty damn quickly] just from the vibrations of the car. It's late and dark right now, so when I wake up I'll be out there to inspect in daylight but I was hoping I could get some pointers as to what exactly I should be looking for with regards to damage from this incident. If all I get out of this is a broken windshield then I will consider myself lucky. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.
Windshields get stress cracked pretty easy from any little twist or change to the body......especially from what you did......LOL
Windshields have been known to snap and then have the crack run all the way across just from being lifted on a car lift.......or jacked up on one side too high.

But if you hit the ground evenly with the bottom of the car you probably didn't do anything at all bad to the frame or front end parts. Probably just the windshield......

In my state, Florida, insurance companies have to replace them for free when they crack.........maybe yours is the same and you can get a nice new windshield out of the deal.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
But if you hit the ground evenly with the bottom of the car you probably didn't do anything at all bad to the frame or front end parts. Probably just the windshield......

In my state, Florida, insurance companies have to replace them for free when they crack.........maybe yours is the same and you can get a nice new windshield out of the deal.

I hit just about as even as it gets. I knew getting sideways would have been a catastrophe ... LOL
Old 07-20-2014, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

you watched to much Dukes of Hazzard as a child
Old 07-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by madmike9396
you watched to much Dukes of Hazzard as a child
I wish I had caught air like that...

Quick Reply: this could be bad....