Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needle bearing stuck to oil drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Needle bearing stuck to oil drain plug

First oil change after x1 cam install, i found a couple small bearings. I kept driving the car because it didn't feel like anything was wrong. Last oil change i found a small chunk of metal on the drain plug. The only investigation i done so far is rocker arms and they check out ok. The motor has 100000 miles on it, and i didnt replace the timing chain or lifters, just springs and retainers. I also had the clutch replace, could the mystery parts have came from the pilot bearing or throwout bearing. Please any suggestions are welcomed.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

My guess is that you have a rocker arm coming apart, there is a TSB out on this condition, if you inspect them closely you will find the one(s) that lost the bearings. Oh and FYI nothing to do with your clutch can find its way into your motor oil.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

you have a bad rocker arm, its hard to see, but its a fact. i would buy a replacement set of rocker arms from your dealer, or buy some high-po arms from a sponsor.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

look anything like these?
Attached Thumbnails Needle bearing stuck to oil drain plug-my-pictures0007.jpg  
Old 05-21-2004, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Are there any bearings about the same size from a rocker arm in any other part of the motor that oil touches? I will check out the rockers one more time, and if i have to replace them i would proly go aftermarket. Any recommendations; 98 valve covers. Also would excessive header banging on the k member be from a busted motor mount?
Sorry all the questions but it seems like everything is breaking at the same time!
Old 05-21-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a friend with a 99 SS that has about 114K on it. With in a 2 month period the rear end broke, then the trans when out after he installed a converter(it was a rebuilt trans,he bought it used), he then replaced the cam with a buddys slightly used cam and within 60 miles spun a few rod bearings ,he had an extra shortblock that he had gone through and freshend up, we put it in and within a few hundred miles the freshly rebuit trans goes out again The trans is being rebuilt under warranty but just just goes to show you how mods can effect a high milage motor/trans.