Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best internal engine treatment/cleaner/restorer? When should it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 12:06 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best internal engine treatment/cleaner/restorer? When should it be done?

The car has almost 62k miles on it and was wondering when it would be a good time to give it a treatment or whatever you call it. The car has never had a oil catch can on it and from what Ive read, if oil is being sucked into the intake, it can cause build up on the valves, pistons, spark plugs, etc. I will be installing a catch can, cleaning the intake manifold, and was thinking of using some kind of engine restorer to clean the internals. Do you think this is necessary? Id really like to do so, what is the best product to use? Thanks.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

New fuel, air, oil filters, change oil, new plugs, fuel injector cleaner and a decarbon treatment, maybe a radiator flush if the coolant is ~ five years old but I'd NOT use any of the "engine restore" stuff.

My 91 RS has 267,xxx miles on the orginal engine and I've never put any engine restore snake oil in the car.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:56 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuel filter I replaced about 5k miles or so, I have a K&N, I just changed the oil a couple of hundred miles ago, plugs have roughly 10k miles on the, but Im going to pull them to inspect them. Fuel injector cleaner is up next on my list, but I already have a thread in the fuel section already waiting for replies. The only other thing I havent done because I dont know what it is, is the decarbon treatment. What is it and how do you do it?