General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Sercurity light illiminated but car still works

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Sercurity light illiminated but car still works

So I am getting the security light illuminated while the car is operating and from what I have read this is an early sign of a failing BCM? Am I right? If so is there any way to fix it? The previous owner of my car broke one of the vats cables to the key cylinder and then bypassed the vats using a resistor. When I was tearing down the steering column I fixed the cable and since sometimes the resistor would have poor connection I just removed the resistor and re-enabled the vats and its been working perfectly fine. Any Idea on how long I have until something happens? This is my DD and it would suck getting stuck somewhere.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a similar issue for quite a long time as well.

Ive been told by many people that mine is due to the ignition cylinder going bad. Already had to fix a VATS wire in the column, they are common to break over time. Maybe it broke again, I dunno, I disabled VATS with HP tuners so car would run.

Rarely, the car wont even try to start when I turn the key and have to auto start it. I work at a chevy dealership and the electrical techs all say I need a new cylinder and key. My key is worn to **** and the cylinder is real loose.

Good news is the parts are less than $100. bad news is labor sucks but im fixing it myself this month.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had problems and had to replace the ignition switch because the wires broke. I had to use the bypass resistor before I replaced the switch. The security light was blinking for quite some time.After I replaced the ignition switch I had to re-flash the bcm.

You might want to hide a bypass resistor in your car just in case. That's what I did for a while.I also had to replace the bcm one time.
It could last 20 years or 5 minutes.you just never know.

Last edited by transwiz; 08-31-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reply guys I do have the resistor for when the VATS was disabled before so bypassing it again would be easy. I just hope its not more than just the cable or resistor. I might later on just swap out the entire column with the BCM and keys as my steering column tilt slop is coming back

Quick Reply: Sercurity light illiminated but car still works