General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Can you tell if 02s are shot by looking at them?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Can you tell if 02s are shot by looking at them?

My gas mileage stinks so I changed the front 02s w/ Denso 234-4617's. They were switching but idk if they slow down w/ age? The driver side one didn't want to come out even w/ a pipe as a breaker bar. Are they original? My car has 106k on it. Thanks for any feedback.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:16 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Those are A/C Delco sensors......No way of telling if they are factory original or if someone replaced them.

02 sensors can look very very bad....much worse then those look....and still work perfectly.

Only way to tell is by seeing them switch with a scanner....and make sure the switching is proper and that the number ranges are proper.

Also.....when you put them, or new sensors back in....ONLY hand tight, then a 1/4 to a 1/2 turn to give them a good snug. They will not come out. Also, when you put them in, twist the wires in the opposite direction as a safety measure in case they do somehow start to loosen. But they wont....... You also do not need to use anti-seize but you can if you want to. If you do tighten them down like a gorilla....then you better use anti-seize.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Thank you for the tips, I had them installed by a good mechanic roughly the way you said while the car was on the lift getting rear lca bushings. The guy didn't gorilla them in lol. I had them checked by a different guy a few months ago where he said they were switching & don't install them. How fast or what range they were switching I am not sure. My car is/was dumping so much fuel (similar to you) I wanted to throw them in. It could be my imagination but it seems better so far. Today was my first day with seat time. I am glad you chimed in.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes good tips, thinking about changing mine out also.

Quick Reply: Can you tell if 02s are shot by looking at them?