Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Driveline upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveline upgrades

Hi all,
Currently I have a 2011 Camaro SS with a moderate comp cam, vararam intake, KOOK 1 7/8 headers with full flow Kook cats, 391 gears and a dyno tune that comes in at 495 RWHP. I am installing a LSX intake manifold in a couple of weeks.

My question is this. With the RWHP I am running what upgrades should I or do I need to do to the rear and clutch. I am current running stock clutch, axles and diff.

I plan on running et street tires for the track which I frequent at least 3 times a season.

I have been looking at the street slayer twin carbon clutch and new axles. I only want to do what I need to. The car is mostly used on the street and would only see hard launches at the track. any help would be appreciated.

The car is also lowered with BMR springs and trailing arms, toe rods and bushings.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2014, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

Where was your car dyno'd? 495 sounds very high for a moderate cam with 3.91s. If you plan to launch the car hard, I would replace the entire differential with either a Hammerhead or ZL1 assembly, and go to a much better clutch. Launching a 4000lb car is no easy task, and those parts are the ones that feel the grunt of it. Or if you got the money, throw a 9" in it.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:35 PM

Default @camanls1

I'm sorry 465 rwhp but I'm having the heads done with a new manifold and it should come in around 495 when its done. Even if it gets close to that ill be happy. I had it tuned on a dyno jet on a cool day so as you know those numbers could be skewed either way.

I'm putting a street slayer twin carbon clutch in it and was thinking about axles as well. What do you think?
Old 10-11-2014, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

Axles will be a must but I think if you run stickies and get a good launch, you'll prolly fall victim to the posi unit giving out. I would at least upgrade to a TruTrac and billet end caps. That will give you the best chance of it staying alive. If you dont wanna change posi's, youll be able to tell your stock posi is going out when you get the one wheel peel. That is when an upgrade is in your immediate future. I spent a **** load of money trying to bulletproof my drivetrain keeping the stock diff in place. $900 for a driveshaft, $1100 for axles, $2700 for a spare diff, 3.91 gears, TruTrac, billet end caps, PFADT bushings, and labor for the diff being built. The shop that built the diff apparently didnt know what they were doing and my diff ate itself. They never machined the end caps even though they charged me for it. I had another shop look at it and the TruTrac and End Caps are the only reusable parts, which I havent decided if I wanted to sell. So I went to a dealership and bought a brand new 1LE diff because I couldnt afford to rebuild my crushed one, which was still $1710. So lesson learned, my next diff will prolly be a ZL1 or Hammerhead, setup from the factory. Hind sights a bitch. Lol!
Old 10-11-2014, 05:41 PM

This stuff is so expensive for the rear, its unbelievable. I will definitely go with the trutrac and axles, street slayer clutch and hope for the best. I just can't go for a new rear just yet. What track tires are you using?

Quick Reply: Driveline upgrades