General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help Help Starter replacement gone bad.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Help Starter replacement gone bad.

2001 Ws6 M6

I bought a new starter and put it in. When i took out the old one i removed the heat shield but did not remember exactly how it went on when i put the new starter on. Put in on how i thought it was suppose to go. Before taking it off the jack stands i go to test the starter, reconnect the battery and go to crank the car, as soon as i did I lost power to all of the following, ignition, gauges, radio, (the headlights alarm light and dome light all still come on) turn the key on acc, and get nothing and same when in the crank position. So this simple fix is turning into a major headache, any ideas on where to start i'm assuming that heat shield touched a connection on the starter and shorted/fried something. Please help !!!

thanks
Scott
Old 10-21-2014, 05:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The thing you are missing here is that you may have started with some sort of electrical issue and not a bad starter.

At this point you should start checking your fuses. With an electrics tester, you can work your way back to the battery and find the disconnect.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled all fuses finally found an 50 amp ignition fuse blown under the hood. Replaced it and it fired rite up. Thanks for the response i thought i had really screwed up something like the computer or something of that nature. The original starter passed a test but when it was engaging slowly and sometimes sticking which i think is why I was only having a starting issues sometimes.

Quick Reply: Help Help Starter replacement gone bad.