Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

injectors for 93 and e85 street car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default injectors for 93 and e85 street car?

This is my first time using e85 and fuel injection and I'm not too sure as to what injectors would be good for 93 and e85? The car would mostly be driven on 93 sense the closest e85 is an hour away but would like to be able to hit the track with the e85 on weekends. Another thing I'm not to sure about is would the tank have to be drained before filling it with e85 I've been told it does but then have heard of people doing a mix of e85 and 93?

The engine is a 408ci with a s480 would love to hit 700hp right out of the garage but the long term goal is to break 1000 I guess it's mostly to be a dyno queen but my end goal is to have a car that can do a little of everything from 1/4 mile to autocross to a nice drive around town
thanks for any help
Jesse
Old 11-18-2014, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Lots of fuel injection web sites have calculators for fuel injector sizing. Most of them are pretty accurate. You need about 15-30% more E85 than gasoline. With a goal of 1K hp, you need some pretty big injectors. And all of the rest of the fuel system to support it.

e85 and 93 octane gasoline (e10) have their own BTU numbers. and they're not very close to each other. If you mix the two fuels, you'll get a BTU and octane number somewhere in between. You tune needs to reflect that new number. That's why flex fuel vehicle have a special sensor to tell the computer exactly what the mix is.

Unless you plan on replacing the stock ECU, you'll need one tune for E85 and another for E10. You'll need to drain the tank before switching from one fuel to another.

There are a number of aftermarket ECU's that can accept input from a flex fuel sensor, and adjust accordingly. But the sensors don't flow very much fuel, and they're not very reliable. If it suddenly fails, you could burn up an engine pretty fast.

I use a Megasquirt2 ECU. I have one tune for the street, which contains a fuel map for gasoline and another for e85. A switch under the dash selects which fuel tables to use. But the tank has to be pretty close to empty before refilling with the other fuel.

My track set up is a little different, so fuel demands are different. For that, I have a completely different tune that I load.

There's a push button under the dash on the right side that grounds the fuel pump relay. Push the button and the fuel pump runs. The -8 AN hose connects to a T-fitting near the fuel rails. One leg of the T is capped. When I want to drain the tank, I connect a piece of hose to the T, and run the pump until the tank is dry. After I refill the tank with the new fuel, I push the button again to purge the lines and fuel rails. So far, that has worked well, and makes the job pretty easy.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car has a surge tank so I was just going to drive till it was on e then drain the surge tank and fill up with e85 then prime the surge tank.
Would that be ok for mixing I figure there won't be much 93 left in the tank

For the fuel pump I was looking at a magnafuel but haven't made a final decision
for ecm I was looking to get the holley hp and maybe upgrade to the dominator later on
would you have any recommendations for fuel injection like what brand might be good?
Thanks for all the help
Jesse

Quick Reply: injectors for 93 and e85 street car?