General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

clogged tank vent?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 03:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default clogged tank vent?

My car juat recently began givjng me troubles when I went to fill the gas tank. It would fill for about a two seconds, then the auto shutoff on the pump would kick in. Wait a couple seconds, id be able to fill it again for 2 more seconds.

Ive been reading and it looks like its an issue with the vent tube, and I was reading all sorts of wacky remedies, from swapping the purge solenoid to swapping the vent solenoid (if one even exists)

So can someone give me a final word on what I should do? Am I buying replacements parts or just cleaning a tube?
Old 12-03-2014, 12:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Yes, there is both a purge solenoid (in the engine bay) and a vent solenoid (near the tank). Both are require equipment for the EVAP system to function as designed.

I've never had to deal with this myself, so I can't say for sure what the fix is. But I've read about this issue before over the years; some people use a coat hanger down the fill tube as a quick fix at the gas station (this pushes the check ball back down - a common reason for this condition), other people have found that not running the tank below about 1/3 or 1/2 will prevent the condition.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

before you go digging into your car, are you sure it's not just the pump at the station? I've had this happen probably a dozen times (or less) over this car and the last car I owned (which spans a solid 5+ years) and I fill up every 4-6 days, I've always considered it an issue at the pump because the next time I come back it's working fine.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Daniel, have you tried a different station first? I had this problem about a month ago, the pump would keep cutting off unless I barely squeezed the handle on the pump nozzle. Except this wasn't on an F-body, it was a '14 Silverado so I know it wasn't the truck.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

It has been at the same station (just happens to be cheap and on my way) but come sunday ill fill up at a different one

Quick Reply: clogged tank vent?