Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driveshaft slip

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Default driveshaft slip

hello, I am swapping a 4l80e into my toyota supra and had a driveshaft cut for it. Only thing bothering me is that the slip yoke doesn't bottom out with this shaft and the shaft might vibrate?

The slip yoke bottoms at 4.5 inches in the output shaft with about 1/2 an inch exposed, but when im done installing the driveshaft 3 inches of the slip yoke is inside the output shaft and about 2 inches is exposed just like in the picture. What do you guys think? is this amount of slack or slip is too much? will i get vibration because the slip yoke sticks out too much?

heres a pic of what I mean

Old 12-15-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't want the slip yoke to bottom out at all, it can cause damage to your transmission, rear end, universals or bend and spit out a driveshaft.

How long is your yoke? To me it doesn't look like you will have proper engagement and will have massive vibrations.

Hate to say it but I think measurements are off on the driveshaft and you will need to have one remade to fit properly. Did you measure properly with the car at ride height with the engine and transmission installed? Did you have the shaft made locally or from a online vendor like Denny's or DSS?
Old 12-15-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

Agreed. Driveshaft looks too short to me, but it depends upon the length of the slip yoke. Is is 4" or 6"?
1. Show us the length of the slip yoke.
2. Install the trans cross member and show us how far engaged the slip yoke is then. (Can't tell from you pic how far down the trans is tilted.)

The surface of the slip yoke is also too coarse and will wear out the rear seal.
3. After you polish the slip yoke, push it all the way in to determine how far it goes before it bottoms out. With the car level and full weight on the rear wheels, I aim for about 1/2" before bottoming out. (With the rear unweighted, it might pull another 1/2" or so.)

Quick Reply: driveshaft slip