Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Can you swap out 98' steel fuel tank 99-02 plastic one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you swap out 98' steel fuel tank 99-02 plastic one?

I have a 1998 Trans Am LS1. Has anyone done this and is it a straight swap out?

If not, what modifications would I expect?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't done that but just call parts store see if pump assemblies have same part numbers.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 76larkman
I haven't done that but just call parts store see if pump assemblies have same part numbers.
I haven't thought of that but I have compared some of the 1998 to 1999-2002 fuel tanks on eBay and it is hard to completely tell if the components are the same between the two. I did search the forum hoping someone had done this swap and had posted a write up, but apparently not. If I do this project and it entails that I modify anything to work for my 1998 Firebird TA, I'll document and post a write up with pics. In the meantime I hope anybody can shed some light on the project. Thanks
Old 12-31-2014, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C6Joe1957
I haven't thought of that but I have compared some of the 1998 to 1999-2002 fuel tanks on eBay and it is hard to completely tell if the components are the same between the two. I did search the forum hoping someone had done this swap and had posted a write up, but apparently not. If I do this project and it entails that I modify anything to work for my 1998 Firebird TA, I'll document and post a write up with pics. In the meantime I hope anybody can shed some light on the project. Thanks
Probably a reason for that... these tanks are a pain in the *** to fully remove. .

May I ask why would you want plastic? Weight?

I'm glad I have metal since I needed to have my tank fabd for new pumps ... worked out for me
Old 01-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ws6turbo
Probably a reason for that... these tanks are a pain in the *** to fully remove. .

May I ask why would you want plastic? Weight?

I'm glad I have metal since I needed to have my tank fabd for new pumps ... worked out for me

There are two reasons I want to do this.

1. I have a bit of a rust issue and want to have a winter project.

2. Maybe the weight but mostly the 1.3 gallons increase, which negates the weight decrease with a full tank.

If you all can in the mean time, please continue to offer more info to back up the possibility that is an "Easy Swap".

Thanks, Joe

Quick Reply: Can you swap out 98' steel fuel tank 99-02 plastic one?