Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple of ? for those switched from low stall to a higher stall

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question A couple of ? for those switched from low stall to a higher stall

I just had a TCI 3800 stall installed which replaced my Yank Y3200 and I had some questions and observations.

1) Do I need to get the car retuned with the new TC?

The car was previously tuned with LS1edit for shift points, shift quickness, TM deleted,etc. This was with the Yank Y3200 installed. It really woke up the car and I loved it. Now with the same tune and the TCI 3800 installed the shifts are back to slushy soft and slow. Is this standard or is it the TC?

2) The tranny takes longer to lockup at low speed (35-40 mph). Is this the "looseness" of the new converter compared to the previous?

3) Just for comparisons sake I manually shifted the tranny through the gears and after I hit D (not 3rd) it took a little to lockup and would not do it immediately. It never did this with the other TC.

Question #1 has me the most concerned and I hate the way it is now.Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry...I really dont know about #1...but I imagine it couldnt hurt any.

It sounds like yours is shifting and acting like mine. My car is untuned...

ps. I heard you have AutoTap. Can I plug it onto my car some weekend? I'd like to find out what's happening with my pig..lol.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:48 AM
10 Second Club

99ssleeper - That's no problem. I need to atap mine again with the new converter.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

i switched from a TCS 3200 to a Vig 3200 which is really a 3800 so my situation is about the same....

the car acts up sometimes under light throttle. it will hang the gears a little bit before deciding it wants to shift. sometimes it will delay the lockup a second or two. sometimes i back off the gas a hair to prompt the upshift and then go back to where i was. sometimes it feels a little bit messy to drive and i dont remember these problems happening with the 3200. all in all though i've never had a huge problem and the car shifts fine at heavy or WOT so i guess the extra slippage could just be making it drive a little stranger. BTW my car is untuned...

i agree with 99ss though that the retune couldnt hurt. if you can swing it, it will only make the car that much better. good luck and enjoy the new converter.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little longer is not much problem.