General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

idle fluctuations and stalling when cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle fluctuations and stalling when cold

Hey everyone I'm new and I have a 1995 Buick Roadmaster LT1 I'm the 2nd owner the car only has 85,000 miles. When the car is cold and I start it the idle drops after about 4 seconds and it seems to be running rich from the exhaust odor. If I put it in drive from park it feels like it jerks into gear and then when I try to accelerate from a stop it'll stall and bog down really bad DOES NOT DIE then it picks up rpms and goes only does this when cold...also at free way speeds when I accelerate to pass the engine shudders until I really put my foot into it then it will take off smoothly even when engine is warmed...Any help? Its got new plugs and wires fuel filters. Is it the TPS? iAC? temp sensor? No check engine light is on at all and never does come on. And its an OBD1 car has never died on me either. Please help
Old 02-08-2015, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be related to temp sensors, IAC, a a variety os senors etc. Does it start in warmer weather, or if you step on the gas? Have you checked the obvious things yet like your fuel pressure and battery, and if your getting spark before digging deeper?
Old 02-15-2015, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

If you have a scanner check what your TPS voltage is and what your IAC count is. If the TB and/or IAC are dirty it can cause the problem.

Also check what your ECT shows when it's cold. If the car has been sitting over night or for an extended period of time the ECT should be really close to the IAT. If the ECT is reading wrong it will also cause the problem.

Quick Reply: idle fluctuations and stalling when cold