General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

power steering fluid leak where from?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering fluid leak where from?

When I got my car 3 years ago with 90k the first week had pressire hose replaced
They told me the other hose was cracked but not leaking. Its discontinied. Today when I turned sharp it made that noise like when low. I filled ps resoirvoir and it is leakomg out.drivers side by rear of front fender. What could it be the return.hose. I did search and there's to much information. Ty
Old 02-21-2015, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably have to replace the whole rack and pinion. I've had 2 replacements already. Both times it was leaking on the driver's side where you are saying. The car would leave trails of fluid when it got really bad. I recommend buying a rebuild one the first time because I went with a used one and it lasted a couple years until the car started leaking again.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:54 PM
Launching!

That's the worst case right. How much for labor? I hope its not
Old 02-21-2015, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Yea I'd say so. I bought a rebuilt rack and pinion for $180 and had it installed for $100. The guy works out of his house though so I'm sure that a shop would charge more
Old 02-22-2015, 02:18 PM
Launching!

I was able to look at today. It appears its the cap as its wet around resourvoir. Im going to fix that and i think im good
Old 02-23-2015, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Ty o1 supersport. I wont wastr my time posting know one replys. I put a haïr scrunge and i think thats it. Didnt see leak and no more noise turning sharp. Im going to get a new cap see if that works . Very relieved. I spent enough on clutch this summer. Off topic but i love my ls7 clutch.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a random PS leak for a while. It was very slow, but I think it has gotten to the point where my PS is leaking so bad (or screwed up) to the point where the steering wheel is noticeable tougher to turn. I'm not sure what the cause of this is, as I've yet to dig in. Where exactly can the fluid leak from, the rack itself probably being the main culprit?
Old 02-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably the front seal. That's were mine was leaking from. Tried a rebuild kit on mine and fixed the leak but wines like crazy now. Ordered a new AC deco from rock auto yesterday. Not willing to take a chance on a rebuilt pump.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and I highly recommend the turn one pulley. Makes ps pump install and removal a lot easier.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by dhctss
I was able to look at today. It appears its the cap as its wet around resourvoir. Im going to fix that and i think im good
This happens from boil over, most often due to dirty/contaminated P/S fluid. I'm sure the scrunchie makes your engine look really cute, but a simple fluid flush should fix the problem for you.

If your fluid was low, that could have caused your squeal. Were you below the dipstick?

I filled ps resoirvoir and it is leakomg out.drivers side by rear of front fender. What could it be the return.hose. I did search and there's to much information. Ty
If you have a fast leak, you should be able to see it dripping with the car parked and the engine running.

Last edited by wssix99; 02-24-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Ty o1 supersport. I wont wastr my time posting know one replys. I put a haïr scrunge and i think thats it. Didnt see leak and no more noise turning sharp. Im going to get a new cap see if that works . Very relieved. I spent enough on clutch this summer. Off topic but i love my ls7 clutch.
Hopefully that does the trick for you
Old 02-24-2015, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Guitar
I've had a random PS leak for a while. It was very slow, but I think it has gotten to the point where my PS is leaking so bad (or screwed up) to the point where the steering wheel is noticeable tougher to turn. I'm not sure what the cause of this is, as I've yet to dig in. Where exactly can the fluid leak from, the rack itself probably being the main culprit?
It usually leaks from the driver's side from my experience. The rack and pinion connects on that side upward to something I would guess the pump? Can also be a hose or connection of some sort on that side as well. I don't go into much detail with my mechanic. From the times my car has leaked power steering fluid it was always on the drivers side and either the whole rack and pinion being bad or a hose/connection of some sort. Looking up a pic of a rack and pinion for our cars will allow you to see the part of the rack and pinion that connects upward on the driver's side.

Quick Reply: power steering fluid leak where from?