Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TransGo Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question TransGo Shift Kit

I have a stock 00 Z28 A4, very interested in installing a shift kit, but unsure of what it all takes, as I am not very familiar with transmissions. I am looking at the TransGo kit for the 4L60E. Is this a good choice? No torque converters planned right now. Also, I was wondering if there is anything else someone in a small budget could afford to avoid slippage and work with the shift kit to firm the shifts. And Lastly, with a shift kit will it make your automatic transmission more like a manual and allow you to control when to shift from 1-2, 2-D, and D-OD and back down? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I personally wouldn't attempt the install. Yes the trans-go is a good choice and you are better off letting the trans do it's thing and not trying to do the shifting on your own, you can find a Hypertech programmer for cheap and move your shift points around but i'd leave the trans pressure alone with the shift-kit installed
Old 06-06-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Once you purchase the kit...the PSK is more "user friendly" as it comes with a vid tape giving ya an idea what needs to be done. The HD2 is more for peeps that have messed with a few trannies.

With the TransGo, your manually controlled down shifts will be much quicker. I drive about town in 3rd gear always...I see no need for OD going 40mph. Sorry EPA.

When you install the kit, install it ALL. Leave nothing out (aside of internal disassembly) and keep the shifts at the HP/HO apps. NOT the full race. That will destroy the internals in short order. The shift feed holes will be about: 1-2 .082, 2-3 .093, 3-4 .082.

Also while down there, I'd get that billet OD servo from Fairbanks. 4th sucks in these trannies. Oh and yes, do not increase line pressure anymore with a programmer or other means.

Hope that sheds some light...
Old 06-07-2004, 09:25 PM
Restricted User

If you are going to use the Trans-Go Performance Shift it, and you want the maximum life and smooth part throttle shifts, then you will need to "modify" the kit. First, make sure that the torque management is disabled. Second, stick with the Corvette style servo, for 2nd gear & "do not" get the oversize servo for overdrive, save your money, the "modified" kit will take take of everything for 2nd, 3rd & 4th gear. These (700R4/4L60E) are all I do now, and have many quick & fast ones out there. When setup correctly, these transmission can be made to shift smooth at part throttle and firm at WOT. If you have any questions on this call me at 800 7763288.