PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it Worth it for Me to Buy HP Tuner at This Time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Is it Worth it for Me to Buy HP Tuner at This Time?

Hi all! I'm interested in getting into tuning my car using HP Tuner. However, I'm not sure if it's really a valid purchase for me at this time with the setup I have.

The mods I have are listed in my sig, but the only real performance additions I have are a LoudMouth exhaust and an SLP lid w/ the free ram air mod (I assume because the air filter housing is bottomless. Not done by me, done by the previous owner).

Bottom line, can I do anything meaningful with HP Tuner at this time? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Launching!

you can get rid of your skip shift,and you can tune on dyno or with autotap to max. hp.I would think you would benifit most from a cam swap and edit combo.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Nothing serious, you can turn on your fans, get rid of CAGS if you havent already, mostly minor things. I purchased it after my header install because I wanted to use it to clear the SES lights and because it was a nice bang for the buck. I could either pay $250 for codes cleared and have nothign to show, or pay $500 and have the ability to fully tune my car and have a scanner. I think its a good investment. Dont waste your money on ls1edit.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, sounds like it's pretty much what I thought. Yeah, I definitely won't be buying LS1Edit. The price of that crippled piece of software puts it out of my price range anyway. HP Tuning for me.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you ever get gears that's a good time to buy hptuners so you're odometer doesn't read more miles than you drive.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Don't forget about EFILive.

Unless you really really need a tuner, I would wait until EFILive comes out and then compare function and price of it against HPTuners.

If you go to EFILive's site, they are now searching for beta users, which means that version 1 of the tuner won't be far behind...unless you have a 98, then it might still be awhile.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the tips guys. Appreciate it