Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

locking crankshaft for converter

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default locking crankshaft for converter

hello quick question, i am ready to unbolt the tc, and need some help. i tore it down and am ready to unbolt the unit but dont have a spare hand to keep teh motor from turning..how do you guys lock the motor while doing this by yourselves..also didnt try to unblot it yet because all i have is allen wrenches..not sockets can anyone verify that the tq bolt is a 8 mm allen? will be off to sears to get one in the morning..Also i have read there are bolts that have the allen/socket head combo from gm? mine is just a headless allen bolt and if possible would like to go with the bolt with the head upon reassembly..thanks matt
Old 06-07-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouldnt have to keep the engine from turning, they arent that tight. I cant tell you the exact size, i just bought the set of allen sockets, it is metric though. Make sure you use the right size, i have seen alot of them stripped out and then it is real fun getting the bolt out. The newer LS engines came with the converter bolts that have the allen in the middle and socket on the outside, but if you are going to an aftermarket converter you will not be able to use the stock length bolts, they are too long and will bottom out allowing them to back out. The new verter will come with bolts, if not will need to get a set. they have them at the GM dealer as well, but i cant remember the part number.

Clint
Old 06-07-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks, i have all the plugs out as well as the belt off,so my motor turns pretty freely, i turned it over just with my allen "wrench" so i know when i get the socket on it,it will turn very easily. i am buying a used converter so ill probably need some new bolts..thanks again
Old 06-07-2004, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1261968 - GM Hex Head T/C bolts M10x1.5. An allen wrench will usually butt up against the corner of the starter opening and you do not have to lock the flywheel. I use a regular allen wrench and slip a large box end wrench over the end of it for extra leverage. The stock bolts are extremely hard to break loose, but once they break loose, you can spin them out pretty easily. The allen wrench usually goes flying when they break loose, so make sure you are pushing away from you and not pulling towards you.