Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dowel pins came off with tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 03:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down dowel pins came off with tranny

well, am getting ready for my tc install, tc should be here by end of week, went to pull my trans and all be damned if one of the dowels came off in the tranny..what do i need to do? Rub it down with some emery cloth and apply a little lube and tap it back into the block? Also, i have never installed a converter. I have helped swap trannys and put in converters but have never been the one to actually "slide the converter on the shaft" i have read to wait for the three "engagements"? So would i slide it on unitl it goes a little and the spin it again till it goes a little ,then once more? just confused if the intial putting of the converter on the shaft counts as one engagement or not. also have been told the stock bolts will be too long? they seem pretty short..going to install a tcs 3200 (used so no new bolts) what will i need to do for bolts,cut them down with a hacksaw or what..thanks for any help
matt
Old 06-09-2004, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

help????
Old 06-09-2004, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry about it. It does not really matter if they are in the block or the transmission all they do is line the block and tranny up. Just leave them in the tranny and continue with your install.

Installing a converter is easy. After you remove your old converter lube up the snout of the new one with tranny fluid. Now slide it on the tranny and spin the converter while pushing it on. You will feel it slip into the pump. To double check make sure that the mounting tabs on the converter are at least 3/4 of an inch inside the bellhousing.

Good luck and enjoy your new converter.
Josh
Old 06-09-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

3/4 of an inch inside the bell housing and you'll be buying a pump. Place a straight edge across the mounting surface of the bell housing and measure to the mounting surface of the converter tabs. Should be 1.125 (1 1/8) inches. I think the +- is around .050.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

We put a straight edge on the tranny face and measured the distance between it and the stock converter tabs first. Fill the new verter with some fluid, lube the snout. We pushed the new converter on while turning it, I beleive you will feel it "engage" 3 times. (I can't remember extactly, its been a while) Finally put a straight edge on the tranny face again and measure the distance to the verter tabs, you want your measurements to be the same. Reinstall tranny.