Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Power Cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 12:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Cable

i have a little problem, hopefully i dont sound like a retard, but how did all of you connect the power cable to the battery?? in my grand am i just clamped the power cable to the post on the battery, but on my trans am theres no where to clamp it to...im running a 4 gauge power cable...also where did you run the cable through the firewall?? pics would also help me out a ton...thanks in advance AndreW
Old 06-09-2004, 03:15 AM
TECH Resident

The best way is to look for the positive post on the driver's side of your engine bay. It's there. Run the cable along the bracket in front of the radiator, using LOTS of wire ties. Make a sharp right, and follow along the passenger side. Here's where it gets tricky. Disconnect and pull out the pcm and its retaining bracket. About 1.5' down from the top is a large rubber grommet. Punch a hole in the grommet and feed your cable through there. It comes out right behind the passenger side kick panel. Contunue feeding cable until you get it as far as you want. Reseat the PCM and bracket, and reconnect.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:21 AM
STF Veteran

Get a side post adapter. This will allow you to have an additional terminal on the positive lug to connect your power wire. Approx $10
Old 06-09-2004, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

can i just unscrew the + terminal or do i need to take off the - terminal first?
Old 06-09-2004, 11:22 AM
STF Veteran

Always disconnect the negative terminal first so as the positive wire will not be hot and you will not shock yourself. By removing the negative, the only path for current to travel would be from post to post. The adapter I spoke of takes the place of your bolt on the positive cable and extends the post witha stud for you to attach to.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

i got a longer post from autozone, but when i tried to get the old one off the red cable, it would not come off, i tried pulling it from both directions but it just wouldnt come off...hmm...this really shouldnt be this hard...
Old 06-10-2004, 05:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PewterNHRA2001
i got a longer post from autozone, but when i tried to get the old one off the red cable, it would not come off, i tried pulling it from both directions but it just wouldnt come off...hmm...this really shouldnt be this hard...
If you are talking about pulling the red boot off the old bolt it is a PITA! I cut the rubber boot on the top. Once you cut it you will see why it is so hard to take off. When you cut around it you should be able to wiggle it off.

-B