Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall Conv Tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 08:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall Conv Tuning?

I'm not getting one for a about month, but since I have to send my program off to RWTD for a custom tune, I thought I'd start asking all the dumb questions now so I know what to ask James to adjust.

I read Ryans post about the mis-fires preventing lock-up. I think I need to read that about 100 more times to understand it, but that helped. Since I don't have a cam yet, and only plan to install a Hot Cam, maybe I won't run into that issue. But it makes sense that some parameters will need tweaking.

So what all needs to be adjusted in the PCM for a ~3k stall?

I hear people talking about setting the lock-up point. But where do I want it to lock up? The car shifts at ~83mph into 3rd gear @ WOT. So do I set it at 65-70 for 2nd? And then what for 3rd? 100mph? Or lower since I drive in 3rd gear in town? (50mph?) And how will that affect normal highway driving?

And what changes, if any, will I need to make when I install deeper gears?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Mark
Old 06-09-2004, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

I have a 3000 stall and an F1 cam. After a couple of days of trying things I figured out how to get my car to drive like it's got a stock converter in it. The ONLY table you need to mess with is the NORMAL MODE MPH VS TPS. You also want to keep the "release" settings at a lower value than the "apply." If you don't, your TCC will unlock and lock constantly...annoying as hell.

Leave your 2nd gear apply/release settings at 255. You don't want your TCC to lock in 2nd. Your stock one didn't anyways. Now, if you don't want it to lock in 3rd...set all the 3rd gear settings the same as 2nd. 255 is a mph your car will never hit...therefore it'll never lock. Your throttle response will improve as well.

If you want the 3rd gear lockup, then you'll have to decide which mph you want to lock. Once that's decided, change the values of the 3rd APPLY to the mph. Remember this corresponds to the throttle position. The lower the TPS, the lower the mph. To get the converter to unlock, change the 3rd gear release settings to a value that's closer to the apply.

4th gear. I'd recommend leaving the 0% set at 32 mph. This insures that when you're in 4th gear your TCC will be locked when you let off the gas. The next stock value of 42 mph is fine to use. Again, move the 4th release settings closer to the apply. Personally, I'd go one further and up the 12% TPS settings to a highway speed...say 60 mph. Then use 60 mph all the way through to 75%. Bring your release settings for the same range to 58 mph. 81% - 100% leave the 254 setting for both.

This is a good start and you'll immediately notice a change in your car and how it responds to the throttle/changes shifts. It's all personal preference too on where you want it to lock and unlock, so you'll probably have to play with the table some more.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-09-2004, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks, that does!

Did you replace your flex plate? Or are you still using the stock one?
Old 06-09-2004, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

stock flywheel/flex plate.