Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filling a sealed auto tranny??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Filling a sealed auto tranny??

OK - so I bought a slightly used 97 BMW 7 and it has a sealed auto tranny.

I HATE this concept; after being a tranny rebuilder for several years in the 70's I gave it up to become a CPA. Anyway, if there was one thing I learned while twisting the wrnches it was that frequent fluid changes are the best way to avoid a cooked slush box.

I want to change fluid in this unit; I assume I can get about 1/2 of the fluid out by dropping the pan. My concern, however, is how I fill it back up.

I have seen auto tranny flushing machines in parts catalogs. I'm not sure how they work but I assume they connect through the cooling lines and drain fluid into one tank and refill using a separate tank. This is probably done while the engine is on.

Question: Besides buying a $2,000 flushing machine or taking the unit to a Jiffy Lube, is ther any other way to swap fluid at home?

Thanks...
Old 06-11-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Chevy does this on the C6 Vette now; right?
Old 06-11-2004, 02:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh yeh, I forgot to mention that I bought a plastic pump thing for $80 bucks.....it is used to draw fluids out of a dip stick or other oil source with no fuss...really works too...It has a hand pump that creates a vacuum so the old fluids are sucked out...

I read on the package that it also can be use in reverse to force new oil/fluids into units such as trannies.

Can this unit be used for the fluid swap on a sealed unit? I suppose if there is a threaded filler plug on the side of the tranny case that would allow me to force new fluid into the unit? I have not been under the Beamer yet to check this, however.

Any thoughts?

Thanks...
Old 06-11-2004, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

So there is no dipstick?? If there is just fill it through the dipstick slow but effective.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Good question - I thought everyone knew about these....
NO DIPSTICK - NONE. the unit is sealed - no filler tube no reservior - NOTHING!

My neighbor, a Snap-N-Half tool salesman, says the luxury car manufacturors are starting to seal there engine crank cases too!!!!! Thats right, you can't add any engine oil to these cars... if your car develops a leak or burns some oil you will get a light on your dash that tells you to drive to the nearest dealer where you will get hosed if your vehicle is not under warranty....

So you want to change your engine oil on a sealed crank case - FORGET IT - you can't unless you are a dealer.....

Wow - thats cool right?