Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes an 8 inch converter unstreetable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question What makes an 8 inch converter unstreetable?

I just got off the phone with TCI (thinkin about gettin a new converter before I put my Turbo 400 back in), and they said the converter they suggest for my setup would flash to 3800! I told them, whoa, my current converter is flashing to 4600 - 4700 and I was thinkin about goin bigger! So they said the only other thing they could suggest would be an 8 inch converter (I currently have a 9 inch), but that then the car would be totally unstreetable and a trailer queen! So my ? is, what the hell makes an 8 inch converter any less streetable than a 9 inch that my car would have to be a trailer queen if I had one?! Sorry if this is a dumb ?, but i'm curious, cuz I don't know why! Thanks for any input!
Old 06-11-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In general, the smaller the converter, the looser it is...hence it feels mushy sloppy yuck on the street.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Colonel
In general, the smaller the converter, the looser it is...hence it feels mushy sloppy yuck on the street.
Well, the one I have in there now already feels like that, don't think it could get much worse! I don't know exactly what converter it is, cuz it came along with the tranny and the guy couldn't tell me exactly what converter it is. I think it was meant for a big block though, and it's loose as all hell!!! And it flashes to like 4700! Could it be hurting me at all, I kind of think it's helping, cuz on the gear calculator, with 3.73's and a 27 inch tire, I should be crossing the traps at about 5400 if I had a manual in the car, and i'm goin through at like 6300 which is close to my 6500 shift point, so it's slipping like almost 1000 rpm, which I don't know if it's a good thing cuz it's puttin me in my powerband, or if it's a bad thing, what do you think Colonel, you think I could gain from goin with a different converter? Also, with my current converter i'm cuttin 1.58 - 1.59 60's off the foot brake, so it seems to be working really good, i'm kind of scared to mess with it! I also need the car to be a little streetable, cuz I still drive it on the street, right now @ 70 mph with a 28 inch street tire, i'm cruisin @ 3400 rpm! So what's ur opinion? Thanks dude!
Old 06-11-2004, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

I'm no expert but the mph and e.t. in your sig match very well. If your convertor was slipping badly I'd think you would not get as high mph in the 1/4.
Look at my sig - my mph is near yours, my 60' a few tenths slower and my e.t. is way slower.
Point being, my mph was the same and you e.t. quicker...
I may be heavier (3645lb) but I'd leave you set up alone

btw - I just switched to a PT4400 and it's mushy yucky on the street and I love it!
Can't wait to get new track times.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Devon, it sounds like the converter is doing it's job to me. Those are pretty good 60ft times considering the power and the tranny (2.52 1st gear I assume?) Hard to say if you could do better by changing since we really don't know what you have. What kind of shift extension are you seeing? I bet it's 5700 or better?
Old 06-13-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chief455
I'm no expert but the mph and e.t. in your sig match very well. If your convertor was slipping badly I'd think you would not get as high mph in the 1/4.
Look at my sig - my mph is near yours, my 60' a few tenths slower and my e.t. is way slower.
Point being, my mph was the same and you e.t. quicker...
I may be heavier (3645lb) but I'd leave you set up alone

btw - I just switched to a PT4400 and it's mushy yucky on the street and I love it!
Can't wait to get new track times.
Cool, good to know, thanks!!! And yes, I love the mushy yucky, hehe!!!
Old 06-13-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Colonel
Devon, it sounds like the converter is doing it's job to me. Those are pretty good 60ft times considering the power and the tranny (2.52 1st gear I assume?) Hard to say if you could do better by changing since we really don't know what you have. What kind of shift extension are you seeing? I bet it's 5700 or better?
Thanks Colonel, i'm actually not sure what first gear is in the tranny either, I was told a 2.75, but I was also told a lot of other things that were BS, i'll see if I can have the tranny guy tell me which gear it is while he's got it at the shop. I think the shift extension is 5500, cuz i'm shifting at 6500 and it drops to around 5500 - 5600 (that's shift extension, right?).

Quick Reply: What makes an 8 inch converter unstreetable?