Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

slow turn signals?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default slow turn signals?????

I am having a problem with slow flashing turn signals. it doesnt matter wheather I put the left one or the right one. it flashes really slow??? not sure what it is. i replaced the light bulbs for the turn signals up front. and at all of the clear corners. I am checking the rear turn signal lights today. what is also wierd is when i put my hazards on it blinks like normal????? and the rear ones flash as normal but the front ones dont do a thing. they just stay lighted up but no flashing???? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Wesley
Old 06-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If both sides have the problem then it is probably the flasher. Since the hazards and the turn signals use separate flashers, that would explain the hazards working while the signals don't. A new flasher is only a couple of bucks at your local parts store (or you can get an electronic one for about $7). The turn signal flasher is clipped to the underside of the dash just to the right of the opening when you remove the plastic knee panel under the steering column.

It is always possible that there could be burned out bulbs on both sides. When a bulb is burned out there isn't enough current flow through the flasher to make it flash so the lights stay on solid instead of flashing. Always check all of the bulbs first before replacing a flasher.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let me say this again. when I put the hazards on the lights flash at the normal speed. but the front lights still do nothing. just light up but no flash
thanks
Wesley
Old 06-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

OK, let me say this again... the hazard flasher is a different flasher from the turn signals and is unrelated to anything that happens to your turn signals. The turn signals could be totally nonfunctional and the hazard flashers would still work.

If neither front signal light flashes using either the turn signals or the hazard flashers then they are probably burned out or have a bad connection (i.e. corroded sockets which are fairly common in f-bodies). Do your daytime running lights work? (those are the same bulbs)

Only if the bulbs are working but they still don't flash on either side would you replace the turn signal flasher.