Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this setup good for torque?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this setup good for torque?

Hey everyone. I decided to revise my working plans for my car's future engine mods due to unforeseen repair expenses. To make a long story short, I got in a fender bender and need a new hood, fender, wheel well and other parts. However, I found a used hood for CHEAP (already painted Black), can get the rest of the parts at cost (GM hookup) and have a good body shop that's cutting me a deal. I didn't want to killed in terms of insurance, so I'm paying out of pocket. Anyway, back to the plans. I was thinking of going with the Patriot Performance Stage II 5.3L heads, and either a G5X2 or Comp Cams 224/224 camshaft, among the LS6 intake, SLP FlowPac, etc. I want more low end torque, and was wondering if this would be good. I had heard that 5.3L heads made decent torque down low and want to know what the best for the money would be. Any advice/info, please write back ASAP. Thank you very much. I apologize if I'm getting annoying with all my questions, I just figured that you guys know more than me and have much more experience and I want to find out the way to do things right the first time. Thanks again.
--Adam
Old 06-16-2004, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dug up some dyno results of a C5 with the Absolute Speed Stage II 5.3's, which, by their flowchart, seem to flow a little less than Patriots, a G5X2 cam, and long tubes and the car put down 445-450 rwhp, and about 420 rwtq. That seems about what I want, so should I get this combo? Thanks.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:59 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where did you see AS flow less then PP heads? from what i've seen the AS have better low, mid, and peak lift then the PP 5.3's. keep in mind your probably starting with a lower base, and the a4 tranny isnt going to help you in the dyno department. also factor in a new TC.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe I just looked at the peak numbers then. I compared the chart AS had on their site to Patriot's, and PP had 'em beat, at least on the peak numbers. I'm still a little more attracted to PP because of the price. How much of a difference between the two would their be in the numbers realistically? In terms of a new TC, I will be getting a TCI 3500 either with or soon after the H/C package. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:32 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think you were looking at the wrong chart. PP stg 2 5.3's vs AS stg 2 5.3's the PP dont beat the AS anywhere except in price. real world you'll have more tq and area under the curve with the AS's with there better low and mid lift numbers. how much money thats worth is up to you.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
i think you were looking at the wrong chart. PP stg 2 5.3's vs AS stg 2 5.3's the PP dont beat the AS anywhere except in price. real world you'll have more tq and area under the curve with the AS's with there better low and mid lift numbers. how much money thats worth is up to you.
Thanks for the response. Now I'm going to have to reconsider. Honestly, the price is the only truly attractive factor of the PP's. I just have to think things over and determine what I'm going to do and if I can afford to go AS. Thanks again. And I should know better than to just go with manufacturer flow charts as my main reference.
--Adam