Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

whats this about rims size and ABS??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default whats this about rims size and ABS??

ok i'm looking to get rims for my car and i heard that if i offset the rim size such as 18 rear and 17 front it will mess up the ABS is this true? or that if teh profile gets to big or to small it will also screw up the ABS. can anybody clearify this for me??
Old 06-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

If the overall hieght of the front and rear wheels (and tires) are different, ABS can get confused and throw a code. The "ABS INOP" light on the dash will be illuminated and ABS may not work. The ABS module was originally programs for the same height tires all around.

This is only an issue if the overall height of the front and rear wheels with tires is different. You can have 17" wheels on the front and 18" wheels on the back as long and the height of the tires are the same front and rear.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think what hes tryin to say is....if you have the OVERALL same height all around, then youre fine
if you had "the same height sidewall" on both front and rear, the over all height for the back will obviously be taller since they are on 18s
so, you would just need a thinner side wall on the tires out back to compensate
Old 06-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Yup. Thats what I am saying. Thats why I said "the height of the tires" as in the actual ground-to-top-of-tire height.

Quick Reply: whats this about rims size and ABS??